does anybody understand that kegged Co2 line formula

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well its been a long time since i was at school, but can anybody in a step by step first 1st grade maths level explain that Co2 beer tap pipe length formula? and how to do it?

I simply just don't get it, and it doesn't matter how much i crunch those numbers, I simply achieve the wrong answer ;-(

Reminds me of school again ;-))

https://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/...our-kegged-beer-co2-line-length-and-pressure/

one thing that's missing is tap brand, there not the same, each tap will poor differently and require different back pressure in the line

one thing that's missing is tap brand, there not the same, each tap will poor differently and require different back pressure in the line

Thanks

But im more struggling on the basic maths in understanding the formula, once I crack that then i can pin it down with tap brands extra. My old grey matter cant cope as it is ;-)

just go for 10 feet, that seems to work the best for most people and just tuck any access down under

just go for 10 feet, that seems to work the best for most people and just tuck any access down under

I've currently got 6 feet and the pressure gauge set at 1.5 bar, but it just seems flat, the head doesn't hang around at all.

I slow carbed the beer in a soda keg for 1 1/2 weeks at .7 PSI at 3C (38F) then turned up the pressure for a few days to 1.5 bar for pouring.

I hate to say this but that's just the opposite of what most people have, sorry it could be just you need some flaked malt or carapils

I run my keezer at around 14PSI with 10' serving lines on Perlick taps personally, I could probably dial it down to 13PSI but it works.

I carbonate at around 35PSI for 36-48 hours before putting on a serving line. I don't know bar so I don't know the conversion off hand.

Line diameter is important too !
I have a calculator on my PC I was given by a draft guru who installs commercial setups .
I'll need temp , line ID and lift height ( centre of keg to tap ) as well as desired volumes of CO² .
I run 4 metres of 5 mm line , serve at 6 * C and 14 psi(96 kpa ) .
Unlike many new keggers you're not getting glasses of foam

I don't think it's the line, its your recipe

Hi Ozarks,

You know you might be right here. I feel like i'm missing something in my beer taste.

The problem is I'm a bloody perfectionist, and also new to craft beer making ( 5 months) so I'm pushing myself hard to improve.

I've made this pilsner 4 times now and each time I try to improve it with my friends taste inputs. Last time I used mount hood hops and it had flavour but still missed body, this time I reverted back to German tetnang hops and its (boring) yeah not a craft beer language but it is.

I'm my brew shed with the beer and upon pouring another I see it's carbonated, but its boring and doesn't have the zing, head retention or maybe what I hoped it to be. Its easily drinkable but im still disappointed

Line diameter is important too !
I have a calculator on my PC I was given by a draft guru who installs commercial setups .
I'll need temp , line ID and lift height ( centre of keg to tap ) as well as desired volumes of CO² .
I run 4 metres of 5 mm line , serve at 6 * C and 14 psi(96 kpa ) .
Unlike many new keggers you're not getting glasses of foam

Hi there

ID = 7mm ( i think as i cant measure it)
line lift from keg to tap 20cm
CO² volume lager 2.52 - 70
Pipe length 2 meters

And a thanks, though I do also think im looking for more taste and body in my beer, as I get nice head though it doesnt stay and the beer to me seems a little boring in flavour, and these are other things. But you guidance if im in the right area with my tap system is appreciated.

brewing pilsner isnt easy it takes alot of attention to the tiny details to get it just right. recipie Maltster Mash PH mash temperature water profile yeast type fermentation schedual and lastly serving temperature and carbonation even the glass you serve it up in. all of these combine to form the most popular beer style in the World.

im still trying to nail mine:).

try this, sub any grain with yours

7 lb - American - Pilsner (73.7%)
2 lb - American - Vienna (21.1%)
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (5.3%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.16
1 oz - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 7.02
1 oz - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: Boil Boil for 5 min

I got tired of screwing with the math. I put 5 feet on my kegerator lines and keep the pressure regulated so that it pours perfectly. ;)

Hi there

ID = 7mm ( i think as i cant measure it)
line lift from keg to tap 20cm
CO² volume lager 2.52 - 70
Pipe length 2 meters

And a thanks, though I do also think im looking for more taste and body in my beer, as I get nice head though it doesnt stay and the beer to me seems a little boring in flavour, and these are other things. But you guidance if im in the right area with my tap system is appreciated.
No guesses !! .....line id will be written along the tube , even different brands will have a very small difference in resistance .
Also need a temp ..
Are lines chilled all the way from keg to taps ?

try this, sub any grain with yours

7 lb - American - Pilsner (73.7%)
2 lb - American - Vienna (21.1%)
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (5.3%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.16
1 oz - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 7.02
1 oz - Hallertau Mittelfruh, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.75, Use: Boil Boil for 5 min
Good recipe , Czech pils ?
I like tettnager for a German pils

I need to order some German hops for my next order, I have a shitload of Citra and Cascade but my only noble hop is Hallertau.

I need to order some German hops for my next order, I have a shitload of Citra and Cascade but my only noble hop is Hallertau.
And that's a problem.... how? :)

Hallertau Hersbruecker is my go-to noble hop.

Back