Drinking Management Plan.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Oki doki fellow brewers as per the title im curious as to what is you drinking management plan?Meaning managing your alcohol consumption? Yes its something im not ashamed to admit i need a little help with:rolleyes:. I myself as most of you who frequent the pages of these forums know love a little drinky drinky heck there is probably nothing more i love to do in the world whilst cloathed than to drink a well crafted home made or comercial beer!:D problem is i dont know when to tell my self enough! Youve drunk your fill time for some slumber son;). So without getting too personal what are my fellow beer lovers stratages when it come to consuming their favourite bevarage/home brewed beer? Ive got in my newely devised beer plan much to the help from my discerning wifey:).

1. Reduce alcohol percentage content in the brews i make.

2 if not at a party/gathering limit beer session to around 3 beers:oops:.

3 dont drink on school nights.

4 listen to missus when she says youve had enough no more after that one:(:p.

5 please no more rules...

So yes im skating on very thin ice atm with maintaining my allowed to continue hombrewing license. Missus cant stand me inebriated beyond sence anymore ive got to find the ballance between this beautiful craft and living a harmonious existance with the dearly beloved:p. Because when it comes down to it i love em both ;).

Any tried and tested methods?

Those would be good rules for sure. When I bottled, I limited myself to 2 (22 ounce bottles) per day. I try to limit myself to the same amount now, kegging. If I drink more than that (which happens) it bothers me the next day. So I try, but it doesn't always work.

Have a kid, you won't have as much time to brew or drink, problem solved :D

Another good rule might be to go to bed when she goes to bed. I tend to have another (or 2, or pour a little heavy handed with the liquor) if it was just me on the couch watching tv

That's funny. I started brewing when my wife was pregnant with our first. He's 21 now (metric 21, that is.) the babies never slowed down my brewing! And we've always gone to bed at the same time.

I drink about one beer of my own a night, unless I am visiting a brewery. Then I may drink more than one there and none at home. My drinking management plan is simple: I don't want to be drunk. Even tipsy is uncomfortable for me. That helps me keep it in bounds.

I hate to say it but I quit drinking for 6 years while my daughter was young, 3 boys before her and it was not a problem but my little jewel changed all of that, now all are grown and married with kids of their own so I indulge when I can, like right now between 9 pm and 1 am Im the worst so to speak because I'm all to my self and the king for a couple of hours but with that said 3 is all I need before I tear down the town yelling woohoo, "cue video here" but really Ive cut way back only because of health problems so these 7% beers are 1 a night 3% I have 4 but don't tell, its really about self control and I hate to give it up so I gage the drinking day on that and think to my self, would you act this way in front of your mother, if not "time to stop" and yes when she says stop its time, nothing like a womans fury that can last for months, its not worth it :confused:

Last edited:
I have a woman friend and we were talking the other day about beer calories and was pitching my light beer scam and she convinced me of her plot of drinking 1 high alcohol beer a night say a 9% stout and I shook my head thinking any alcohol is calories but really it makes sense in the long run if i drink 4 - 3% beers thats 12% and she is drinking 1 - 9% and done, she wins, the key here is never under estimate the woman lol

Im hearing you Ozarks yes time to rain it in gunna have to scratch up some full bodied 3-4% brews i think;).
There's a new book out on Session Beers - haven't finished it yet. It's rare any more that I go over 5.5%....

I'm with Crunk! :rolleyes:

The good news... we are heading into Stout season (much lower ABVs). :D

I was so worried that only having two taps on the Keezer wasn't going to be enough. Anyone wanna rent a tap slot? I promise, I won't pour from it. :p

And why have all my clothes shrunk?

Last edited:
Another bit of advice: start drinking later in the day (and don't catch up!). On days where I might want to cut back, I'll start later. Then drink at the same pace. I like to have my last one right before I go to bed. The later I start, the less I have.

I'm with Crunk! :rolleyes:

The good news... we are heading into Stout season (much lower ABVs). :D

I was so worried that only having two taps on the Keezer wasn't going to be enough. Anyone wanna rent a tap slot? I promise, I won't pour from it. :p

And why have all my clothes shrunk?
Too true yes i may just let my next lager actually lager for a bit longer with my new beer managment plan. Yes its a dam fine ballancing act brewing delicious beer and not touching it:D.

Another bit of advice: start drinking later in the day (and don't catch up!). On days where I might want to cut back, I'll start later. Then drink at the same pace. I like to have my last one right before I go to bed. The later I start, the less I have.
Yes great idea Jeffpn ive been guilty of a noon day kick off:rolleyes:.

Well I never got to brew today so after my second keg blew while doing some navel contemplation, I decided that I needed to up my production. I moved a cold crash into the keg today so I have 4 spare kegs and two spare fermentors as of tonight.

I have a two spot fermentation fridge at the moment. My other hardware is a cold crash fridge and my other a kegerator. This limits my production.

Tomorrow I will buy a freezer and turn that into a kegerator, turn my current kegerator into a fermentator fridge and catch up that way.

I want to be able to leave them a bit longer in fermentation.

Well I never got to brew today so after my second keg blew while doing some navel contemplation, I decided that I needed to up my production. I moved a cold crash into the keg today so I have 4 spare kegs and two spare fermentors as of tonight.

I have a two spot fermentation fridge at the moment. My other hardware is a cold crash fridge and my other a kegerator. This limits my production.

Tomorrow I will buy a freezer and turn that into a kegerator, turn my current kegerator into a fermentator fridge and catch up that way.

I want to be able to leave them a bit longer in fermentation.
Great idea nugnut I'm using freezer as ferm fridge and keg King keggorator as serving fridge. Yep get that stockpile going mate and don't hesitate to ask for help on that Saison you were thinking of. Marris otter would be a lovely base for that I'm sure:rolleyes:.

Wow ... i'm single and only have a beer when i feel like one
Several days a week i won't drink booze at all , i have enforced a minimum 2 booze free days a week on myself which has meant watching friday night football with a can of soda .
i worked hard to keep in shape over last 36 years and still have the trim 32 " waist i had at 17
I have made efforts to reduce the ABV of my brews for the sake of my liver and licence

Back