Add more yeast or leave it alone?

KUBrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
Brewed this partial mash on Saturday, mashed the grains at 153, added the roasted malts after conversion, before sparge.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1084078/breakfast-stout
OG was 1.084. Pitched 2 packs of rehydrated LalBrew BRY97 to 65f wort. Slow start to fermentation, got good action by Sun night through Tues. Airlock moving about once a minute now which by day 4, usually means another 1-2 gravity points left to go. Took a gravity sample and reading 1.029. Was expecting more like 1.02. Using a hydrometer, degassed the sample, converted temp to 60f. Thinking I might pitch another pack of dry yeast. I don't keg so will go in bottles and trying to avoid gushers/bombs. Tastes great so don't want to lose the batch. This is highest gravity beer I've done so not sure what to expect. Any recommendations?

Brewed this partial mash on Saturday, mashed the grains at 153, added the roasted malts after conversion, before sparge.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1084078/breakfast-stout
OG was 1.084. Pitched 2 packs of rehydrated LalBrew BRY97 to 65f wort. Slow start to fermentation, got good action by Sun night through Tues. Airlock moving about once a minute now which by day 4, usually means another 1-2 gravity points left to go. Took a gravity sample and reading 1.029. Was expecting more like 1.02. Using a hydrometer, degassed the sample, converted temp to 60f. Thinking I might pitch another pack of dry yeast. I don't keg so will go in bottles and trying to avoid gushers/bombs. Tastes great so don't want to lose the batch. This is highest gravity beer I've done so not sure what to expect. Any recommendations?
Let it buck, as Ben would say. If the yeast is finished, adding more will not help. If you do add more, I'd recommend something highly alcohol tolerant, like EC-1118, a champagne yeast.

The recipe linked indicates an OG of 1.083 and FG of 1.026 for an attenuation of 67%.
You started with 1.084 wort so, all things being equal, FG should be 1.027, if the recipe is to be believed.

I don't think 1.029 is far enough away to matter. Let it rest 4 more days, you might get another point out of it, but I really don't see a problem with the fermentation or FG.

If in primary, transfer to secondary and increase fermentation temp. if possible. The transfer will help rouse and put some more yeast in suspension. This may encourage your yeast to work for a little longer. You are past the point where a higher temp. will cause off flavors to occur. It will even help to dissipate some of the diacetyl if there is any. And just give it some time. With the beer off the yeast cake, you can wait for quite a while, maturing this big beer, which is a plus.

The recipe linked indicates an OG of 1.083 and FG of 1.026 for an attenuation of 67%.
You started with 1.084 wort so, all things being equal, FG should be 1.027, if the recipe is to be believed.

I don't think 1.029 is far enough away to matter. Let it rest 4 more days, you might get another point out of it, but I really don't see a problem with the fermentation or FG.
I agree. Numbers are basically right on track. If gravity holds for a few days, package it up.

I'd say just give it another week and maybe warm it a bit if you can. Otherwise don't worry about it, I think you're not going to get as low as you're aiming at. The more you mess with it the more likely you are to break it.

I have had many brews where the initial fermentation goes crazy for about 4 days then gets quiet. I may seem like it is done but 4 days is not enough for most yeasts. I would say give it least 2 weeks in the primary then take a gravity sample. A LOT of yeasts start off solid and can chew though 80% of the way to FG in a week or less but that last few points can sometimes take twice as long as the first few. Especially in the high octane beers. Be patient. 10 to 20 days in primary is not going to create any off flavors. It may in fact clean up some of the off flavors. I consider it basically conditioning on the yeast cake.

Back