Best wide mouth fermenter

mrskittle

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
After recently abandoning buckets for fermenting, I'm in the market for a wide mouth fermentor. I see that there are a few varieties to choose from. Decisions on HDPE or PET, spigot or not have to be made. My main reason for wanting the wide mouth is to make dry-hopping easier. My set-up is such that I don't have any extra volume of wort to spare and I don't want all 3+ oz of dry-hopped trub to be loose in the fermentor if I want to get every last oz of beer into the keg. I want to dry-hop in mesh bags, which of course don't exit through the mouth of a traditional carboy.

Before you answer let me clarify: I am soliciting info on wide-mouth fermentors. I know buckets are fine and there are also many other great vessels for fermentation. However, in this thread, I am looking only at info and experiences with wide mouth fermentors. Thanks.

After recently abandoning buckets for fermenting, I'm in the market for a wide mouth fermentor. I see that there are a few varieties to choose from. Decisions on HDPE or PET, spigot or not have to be made. My main reason for wanting the wide mouth is to make dry-hopping easier. My set-up is such that I don't have any extra volume of wort to spare and I don't want all 3+ oz of dry-hopped trub to be loose in the fermentor if I want to get every last oz of beer into the keg. I want to dry-hop in mesh bags, which of course don't exit through the mouth of a traditional carboy.

Before you answer let me clarify: I am soliciting info on wide-mouth fermentors. I know buckets are fine and there are also many other great vessels for fermentation. However, in this thread, I am looking only at info and experiences with wide mouth fermentors. Thanks.
I use one of those as well, a 5-gallon Big Mouth Bubbler with a spigot, for my 3-gallon fermentations. I like it quite a bit. Kudos on knowing your requirements before you buy - many don't. As to spigots, I wouldn't go without them. They make transfers so much easier than any known form of siphon.

I've only used buckets so I can't help but I'm also looking to upgrade. Right now I've got my eye on a fermonster 6 gal fermenter. Seems to have good reviews online. I'm waiting till after Christmas to by anything in case Santa sees fit to bring me one:D

I also use a Big Mouth Bubbler with spigot and think it's a great fermenter. Price and durability are excellent.

The convenience of the spigot is attractive but the extra place for bacteria to hide makes me paranoid. I know, I know, proper cleaning will negate that but I've been burned so it's just paranoia.

There is an early consensus forming around the Big Mouth Bubbler. There's also the Fermonster and probably some lesser known ones. Anyone have any other ones they've used?

The convenience of the spigot is attractive but the extra place for bacteria to hide makes me paranoid. I know, I know, proper cleaning will negate that but I've been burned so it's just paranoia.

There is an early consensus forming around the Big Mouth Bubbler. There's also the Fermonster and probably some lesser known ones. Anyone have any other ones they've used?
You can get the BMB without a spigot also.

I have a Speidel 12 liter with a spigot (I brew 1.5 gallon batches), that came into use in May of this year. It is holding its sixth batch, so far pretty satisfied. Although I think I try to do a good job cleaning and sanitizing, there have been minor issues of mold in the spigot 2 of the last 3 brews - I believe these mold issues are my fault, something that can be easily corrected in the future. One aspect that bothers me is the opaque nature of the material doesn’t allow for observing fermentation activity and clarity that my one gallon glass carboys allow.

I have a Speidel 12 liter with a spigot (I brew 1.5 gallon batches), that came into use in May of this year. It is holding its sixth batch, so far pretty satisfied. Although I think I try to do a good job cleaning and sanitizing, there have been minor issues of mold in the spigot 2 of the last 3 brews - I believe these mold issues are my fault, something that can be easily corrected in the future. One aspect that bothers me is the opaque nature of the material doesn’t allow for observing fermentation activity and clarity that my one gallon glass carboys allow.
The Speidels are great fermentors as well. If you're paranoid about the spigot, you can take it apart and clean it.

I just did. There was a little spot of black mold on the cutout of the down spout that came off with the help of a cotton swab. After a thorough cleaning and liberal soaking in Star San, I put the spigot back in place. It’s nice to have a matching cap for the spigot opening.

I like my small big mouth bubbler. Take the spigot out and clean with the rest of it. I had a not so tasty batch from not doing that. Like @Nosybear said having a spigot makes transfers so much easier. Easy to clean the small BMB and the regular ones would be no different

I have 2 fermonsters and they work great. I don't use them much cause I have stainless now but I have zero complaints about them.

Do they make plastic? All I can find in BMB is glass. Glass kinda scares me off cause of the weight and because I know it's going to break on me at some point
They even have plastic in the smalls ones now

They even have plastic in the smalls ones now
I'll be honest, I've been looking on Amazon (I know, I know!) Because I'm hoping if I put it on my wish list someone will buy it for me:D only finding glass on there. If I end up buying it myself I'll probably get it from MoreBeer.

I didn’t know till I bought grain the other day and went to pick up another one.

After using Big Mouth Bubblers and Fermonsters I got a Speidel 30 liter and really like it the best. The only thing I've heard people complain about is that it isn't transparent. I really don't see that as a negative.

When I clean my Femonsters and the Speidel, the spigot is disassemble and cleaned every time. An extra couple of minutes is all it takes.

Back