Dunkel

Josh Hughes

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Plan to brew my second Dunkel this Friday. Last time I went 97% Munich 10L, 2% English chocolate, and 1% Vienna just for conversion. I used Lallemand Diamond yeast

What if I went all Munich 10L and just enough chocolate to get the color right? I will also be using 34/70 yeast this time. Any different way I need to treat it vs Diamond? I plan to keep hops he same 60 minute addition of about 24 ibu

Plan to brew my second Dunkel this Friday. Last time I went 97% Munich 10L, 2% English chocolate, and 1% Vienna just for conversion. I used Lallemand Diamond yeast

What if I went all Munich 10L and just enough chocolate to get the color right? I will also be using 34/70 yeast this time. Any different way I need to treat it vs Diamond? I plan to keep hops he same 60 minute addition of about 24 ibu
I’ve heard that diamond lager and w34/70 are pretty much interchangeable.

I would use carafa instead of chocolate however it probably won’t make a discernible difference depending on how much you’re using.

Heard that too on Diamond but I’ve heard people get different results too...
Don’t have carafa I do 1.3-1.5 gallons so I only need an ounce. I though of leaving the chocolate out too. Thoughts there? Carafa would be ideal but I didn’t buy any...

Heard that too on Diamond but I’ve heard people get different results too...
Don’t have carafa I do 1.3-1.5 gallons so I only need an ounce. I though of leaving the chocolate out too. Thoughts there? Carafa would be ideal but I didn’t buy any...

like you mentioned, the dark malt is mainly for color so that’s for you to decide. I will say that it would probably remind me more of a marzen if it’s not dark enough though.

Last edited:
So I bottled the dunkel a few minutes ago. Man I’m going to like this one. I just used an ounce of chocolate so the color isn’t as dark as the last one. I think this one tastes more “clean” I think. That could be the yeast.
20883240-60EB-4EE4-86F2-8566F74FE62D.jpeg

Have you tried the finished beer? How did the english chocolate taste?

Tried it in the bottling bucket and after true bottles carbed now they are “lagering” in the fridge. The beer it’s self had a bread crust taste but turned out real clean. No roast flavor from the chocolate.
BFD11262-E7C9-4EA9-975C-BCC959643E6B.jpeg

Back