Milk Porter

Melanoidin. It's a very specialized malt.

I'd loose the dextrose is all you want a nice thick creamy body right?

True, was trying to up the abv as I was (as usual) thinking about doing half of it with some oak cubes soaked in bourbon as well. Didn't mention that in the original post, probably should have.

What exactly would it do that would be detrimental to the beer?
It's going to add some dark fruit notes, think raisins or prunes. I've compared it to ball point pen ink. It works well in Bocks, it's basically an ultra dark Munich malt. Hey, try it if you want, it's your beer. I wouldn't use it in a Stout, you want roasty chocolate or coffee flavors, not dark bread crust.

It's going to add some dark fruit notes, think raisins or prunes. I've compared it to ball point pen ink. It works well in Bocks, it's basically an ultra dark Munich malt. Hey, try it if you want, it's your beer. I wouldn't use it in a Stout, you want roasty chocolate or coffee flavors, not dark bread crust.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably swap it out for 2 row.

by the way, should I do a starter if i'm using lallemand voss kveik dry yeast? OG is going to be 1.092

by the way, should I do a starter if i'm using lallemand voss kveik dry yeast? OG is going to be 1.092
Just guessing but yes. Or use two packets of yeast (at minimum). I'm not a Kveik brewer so take this advice as offered.

Just guessing but yes. Or use two packets of yeast (at minimum). I'm not a Kveik brewer so take this advice as offered.

I'm thinking I should, but only used Voss 1 other time in a hoppy beer around 1.075, so I wasn't really sure.

I'm not sure LVK benefits from a starter...but I haven't used it in a batch at this volume or gravity. In my small batch brews, the yeast seems happy to be poured right on top after aeration. I don't even stir the yeast in, I just let it rehydrate and take over the wort naturally on it's own. Good luck, sounds like a good beer!

After 6 days, I'm still at 1.029 SG! I would have thought the yeast would have hit FG by now? Especially since it is the Lallemand Voss dry yeast. I did a 2 liter starter and decanted the excess before pitching. It was between 90 and 95 for fermentation temp. I had to rack it to secondary as I have another brew happening today and needed the primary for head space.

I'm thinking about letting it sit at room temp for another 4 days before adding oak spirals, but I'm really wanted the SG to drop below 1.025 or lower. Keep in mind that this does have 1 pound of lactose added at 15 minutes before flameout.

Any thoughts?

After 6 days, I'm still at 1.029 SG! I would have thought the yeast would have hit FG by now? Especially since it is the Lallemand Voss dry yeast. I did a 2 liter starter and decanted the excess before pitching. It was between 90 and 95 for fermentation temp. I had to rack it to secondary as I have another brew happening today and needed the primary for head space.

I'm thinking about letting it sit at room temp for another 4 days before adding oak spirals, but I'm really wanted the SG to drop below 1.025 or lower. Keep in mind that this does have 1 pound of lactose added at 15 minutes before flameout.

Any thoughts?
If you racked it off the yeast I wouldn't expect any more attenuation.

My main issue is why did it crap out.
1.092 ... My guess would be lack of nutrients and/or oxygen. But you do a lot of big beers so. I am doubtful this is it...

I've never used lactose so I cant speak to how that may effect fermentation (my guess would be that it shouldn't - if the OG and FG included the lactose you are still looking at 68 % attenuation.

Any thoughts?
The lactose is your extra gravity. Every pound adds 46 ppg and it won't ferment. My bet is your fermentation is done.

The lactose is your extra gravity. Every pound adds 46 ppg and it won't ferment. My bet is your fermentation is done.

So where should my SG be? What's the calculation for that?

Back