Cranberry Ginger Sour - HELP/ADVICE :)

JayDee421

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just joined up and look forward to getting a bunch of new knowledge from everyone. I've brewed before but am getting back into the game with a friend. We just did a couple of brewer's best kits and are now going off kit, for the most part.

I'm going to be doing a 2.5 gallon brew for a candied ginger cranberry sour.

Here's what I have for the brew:
- crystallized ginger (24 oz)
- organic whole cranberry sauce (42 oz) (can't find fresh cranberries right now)
- Pilsner grain
- white wheat grain
- ginger root
- tangerine peel
- saaz hops
- omega yeast lacto/yeast mixture

Right now my plan is to put the crystallized ginger and cranberry sauce in the boil with the grains and hops. Then just the omega pack for primary. In secondary, I'm going to put the ginger root (I really want the ginger to be the star here, but to play and mesh with the cranberry) and tangerine peel into secondary.

Has anyone used cranberry sauce in a brew before? Am I on the right track here or should I throw this plan out the window?

Welcome to Brewer's Friend Jay!

While I have never used cranberries or cranberry sauce in beer, I can say that these sorts of flavors sometimes get lost when you put them in the boil... So if you do so you must ensure it is at the end - last 5 minutes or so.

Is the Ginger replacing your hops? Have you ever used ginger before? It adds some "spice/heat" just like it does in foods and what not if you use too much...

I have used Ginger twice (both times fresh off the root and in a chocolate porter) - the first time I used enough that it was very upfront and in your face "spicy" and a couple folks loved it! Others tolerated it. When I made it the second time I backed it off, upped the caocao nibs a bit and those that "loved" it were disappointed... Those that tolerated it still merely tolerated it. (I myself also ended up enjoying the slightly "spicy" version. )

Were the kits you did All Grain? It sounds like you are going to do all-grain this time... Just wanted to check on your process if you do all grain and what sort of mash regimen you were shooting for.

- There are some videos here on the forums in the Brewing Video Tutorials thread that will help you use the system to create an equipment profile and a recipe (even water chemistry if you're interested).

This sounds like a pretty interesting recipe and I am curious as to the outcome. Keep us posted!

Welcome to BF!

I have used pure juice from 100% cranberries. I used 152ml in a 10 gallon batch of a 7% Cranberry Chocolate Stout. I brewed this last December. I kegged half, and bottled the other half. At first the Cranberry was very subtle, almost wished I had added just a little bit more. Fast forward to how the bottles are tasting now, this beer is now all about the cranberries, but not overwhelming. If I plan to keg and consume I would add a bit more cranberry. If I plan to bottle and age, I would add a little bit less. The thing with cranberries is that are very tart, so you want to be careful not to over do it.

Hey everyone!

I just joined up and look forward to getting a
I've used both ginger (in a lemongrass ginger wheat) and cranberry (Thanksgiving beer with cranberry and orange). Ginger: I've used candy ginger, fresh ginger and dried ginger. I prefer fresh, boiled it provides heat, steeped cold it provides ginger flavor. Cranberries, I've only used cranberry juice (not Ocean Spray, that's mostly apple juice) and the Amoretti concentrate. Cranberry gives a pleasant sour, a slightly strange funk. Both can be overdone, and both can be pleasant.

I prefer fresh, boiled it provides heat, steeped cold it provides ginger flavor.
That explains what I experienced with ginger! I added mine to the last 10 minutes of the boil both times. Maybe next time I'll steep it cold and add to the secondary.

That explains what I experienced with ginger! I added mine to the last 10 minutes of the boil both times. Maybe next time I'll steep it cold and add to the secondary.
I have used ginger and cinnamon in a Christmas Ale (7%ABV, 15SRM, 32IBU's), I used 2oz of fresh grated ginger, and 4 crumbled up cinnamon sticks in the last 10 minutes of the boil in a 10 gallon batch. It worked perfectly, I was thrilled with the results.

Neither way is wrong, it all comes down to preference.

I have used ginger and cinnamon in a Christmas Ale (7%ABV, 15SRM, 32IBU's), I used 2oz of fresh grated ginger, and 4 crumbled up cinnamon sticks in the last 10 minutes of the boil in a 10 gallon batch. It worked perfectly, I was thrilled with the results.
Yeah. Mine was about the same about in a 5 gallon batch.... The second time I did it I cut it in half and it was less "spicy". I ended up liking the spice more than I expected though. I'd like to see what it's like cold steeped too. Been a long time since I made the beer (it was extract - that's how long ago it was!). I've been perfecting certain recipes before trying any adjuncts though so it may be a while still. :)

Welcome to Brewer's Friend Jay!

While I have never used cranberries or cranberry sauce in beer, I can say that these sorts of flavors sometimes get lost when you put them in the boil... So if you do so you must ensure it is at the end - last 5 minutes or so.

Is the Ginger replacing your hops? Have you ever used ginger before? It adds some "spice/heat" just like it does in foods and what not if you use too much...

I have used Ginger twice (both times fresh off the root and in a chocolate porter) - the first time I used enough that it was very upfront and in your face "spicy" and a couple folks loved it! Others tolerated it. When I made it the second time I backed it off, upped the caocao nibs a bit and those that "loved" it were disappointed... Those that tolerated it still merely tolerated it. (I myself also ended up enjoying the slightly "spicy" version. )

Were the kits you did All Grain? It sounds like you are going to do all-grain this time... Just wanted to check on your process if you do all grain and what sort of mash regimen you were shooting for.

- There are some videos here on the forums in the Brewing Video Tutorials thread that will help you use the system to create an equipment profile and a recipe (even water chemistry if you're interested).

This sounds like a pretty interesting recipe and I am curious as to the outcome. Keep us posted!

Hi Blackmuse!

Thank you for the response! So I have a very low bitter hop going in called Saaz hops (suggestion of the brewcraft shop owner here). I have never used ginger, but my hope is that the crystallized/candied ginger that I'm using in the boil will be more of the "sweet ginger" flavor profile, then adding some dried ginger root in secondary will add a little of the spice/full ginger flavor (not an overwhelming amount but a bit)

They were not all grain, so this is the first time I won't have any extracts.

I'll need to look at the tuts and see how to do an equipment profile but I will be doing all grain.

My process is going to be a modified quick sour:

- 160ish degree for grain steeping
- boil for hops
- in last couple minutes of boil add cranberry sauce
- cool
- rack onto some candied ginger
- add omega blend

Thank you to everyone else for the advice, you're all super helpful!

Hi Blackmuse!

Thank you for the response! So I have a very low bitter hop going in called Saaz hops (suggestion of the brewcraft shop owner here). I have never used ginger, but my hope is that the crystallized/candied ginger that I'm using in the boil will be more of the "sweet ginger" flavor profile, then adding some dried ginger root in secondary will add a little of the spice/full ginger flavor (not an overwhelming amount but a bit)

They were not all grain, so this is the first time I won't have any extracts.

I'll need to look at the tuts and see how to do an equipment profile but I will be doing all grain.

My process is going to be a modified quick sour:

- 160ish degree for grain steeping
- boil for hops
- in last couple minutes of boil add cranberry sauce
- cool
- rack onto some candied ginger
- add omega blend

Thank you to everyone else for the advice, you're all super helpful!
So, with doing this without any extracts you are not really "steeping" as much as you are "Mashing"... You may mash-in around 160 F and the addition of the grains may drop your mash somewhere between 150-156. You will want to try and keep the mash temp right in this range for at least an hour. Then you can pull the grains and sparge over them with some water at 170 F... OR - you can simply pull them without sparging if you so choose. What OG are you looking to achieve?

Are you attempting a BIAB brew session or a more traditional All Grain session?

Have you punched this recipe into BF yet? - I'll post a link on how to create a recipe... Your answers above may change things slightly...

This video is for the All-Grain option that includes sparging. If you are trying a BIAB approach I can try and make a video for how to create a recipe in that approach if you need help...

So, with doing this without any extracts you are not really "steeping" as much as you are "Mashing"... You may mash-in around 160 F and the addition of the grains may drop your mash somewhere between 150-156. You will want to try and keep the mash temp right in this range for at least an hour. Then you can pull the grains and sparge over them with some water at 170 F... OR - you can simply pull them without sparging if you so choose. What OG are you looking to achieve?

Are you attempting a BIAB brew session or a more traditional All Grain session?

Have you punched this recipe into BF yet? - I'll post a link on how to create a recipe... Your answers above may change things slightly...

I'm doing a BIAB

I'm doing a BIAB
Okay, so you are going to mash in with enough water to cover grain absorption and boil off rate and then use a no-sparge method where you just let the run-off from the grains drain back to the kettle after the mash?

How many pounds of each grain?
Are you using an outside propane burner?

(Sorry for all the questions - just trying to get a grasp on your method.)

Okay, so you are going to mash in with enough water to cover grain absorption and boil off rate and then use a no-sparge method where you just let the run-off from the grains drain back to the kettle after the mash?

How many pounds of each grain?
Are you using an outside propane burner?

(Sorry for all the questions - just trying to get a grasp on your method.)

No problem at all!

and Yes, I'm doing 3.5 gallons of water with the expectation of a 2.5 gallon left over.

3 pounds of each grain.

we used an outside burner for a different batch but since I was doing a small batch for this, we used the stove.

sorry wrong tense lol, we're using the stove, I'm in the middle of it now

I'm on the mash right now.
Sweet! Good luck! I'll let you brew!

Keep track of your absorption and boil off rate on the stove so you can keep a separate equipment profile for it shall you choose to use the stove again!

Sweet! Good luck! I'll let you brew!

Keep track of your absorption and boil off rate on the stove so you can keep a separate equipment profile for it shall you choose to use the stove again!

Thanks, fingers crossed!!!

How'd the first All-Grain BIAB session go? Did you hit your numbers (or at least get close enough)?

Hey sorry for the delay! I think it went well...the beer is kind of thick, I think I had more boil off then I thought I would. But its also thin at times? its weird. I just transferred it for secondary.

Because of the boil off I had a higher than expected OG at 1.070. I think expected was around 1.060.

The flavor is great though! I'll be adding some cranberry flavor prior to bottling but its there and the ginger is nice and sweet with a little punch.

Now here are my two concerns:

1) When I opened it, there was mold up the sides of the primary, none in the beer just up the sides. Part of me feels this is normal for sours, but this being my first, I have no idea so any input on that is much appreciated.

2) My gravity went UP. I have no idea how this would happen, too much sugar or something? Like I said my OG was 1.070, my SG is 1.075, should I expect it to drop in secondary?

Back