Burnt Flavor

AGbrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've definitely got a burnt flavor in a stout i brewed a few weeks ago. It is still in the fermenter, but has a distinct burnt flavor.

I know for a fact that i burned some of the malt flour on the bottom of the kettle during the boil, so that is likely where it came from. I'll be more careful next time, but until then...

Any ideas on how to fix this beer?

If there is any beer burnt might get swallowed up would be a stout. Atleast it wasn't lager as ive had it happen to.

Yeah your going to taste it the whole way through until you finish drinking that batch.
I found it does subdue just slightly but you'll search for it when drinking ...

Now I'm wondering if I should dump it...

I've definitely got a burnt flavor in a stout i brewed a few weeks ago. It is still in the fermenter, but has a distinct burnt flavor.

I know for a fact that i burned some of the malt flour on the bottom of the kettle during the boil, so that is likely where it came from. I'll be more careful next time, but until then...

Any ideas on how to fix this beer?
Dump and rebrew. It can't be fixed.

I'd say at least bottle a few and save them, then when you rebrew it later on you can compare to see how you've improved.

Ive burnt a batch or three dumped most depends how burnt as above I drunk one was just slightly burnt.

It depends how badly you charred the wort

the burnt flavor will never go away, ask me how I know

I'm beginning to feel like i've just joined the club or something...

My hope is that with it being a huge stout and barrel aged, it might still be drinkable. Of course, that is if i can get it to ferment down another 20 points. It is hanging tight to 1.056 for the SG and I'm waiting to see what happens.

I went today and picked up the ingredients to make this one again, so no worries either way.

My hope is that with it being a huge stout and barrel aged, it might still be drinkable. Of course, that is if i can get it to ferment down another 20 points. It is hanging tight to 1.056 for the SG and I'm waiting to see what happens.

I went today and picked up the ingredients to make this one again, so no worries either way.
Is that 1.056 with a hydrometer or refractometer?

I've done it also and mine never improved. It's like Trialben said also. You know it's there so it stands out and you're always looking for it.
If you got room for it, keep it and invite the boys over. Hit some whiskey or tequila and tell em you aged it in an extra charred barrel.:D

You just made me aware of this again I've got a oat laden brew comming up I'll be gentle on the elements.

Wow that's freaking high starting gravity no wonder you had some scorching that wort woulda been like syrup:)?

yeah, i was going for a Goose Island BCS style clone. I'm on my 6th iteration and it keeps getting better each time...except for this burnt one.

Back