instant pot extracts

paulhenry

Trial Member
Reaction score
last year i made a mexican hot chocolate stout with pasilla peppers, cocoa nibs, cinnamon etc. while it was very good, the peppers dominated the final product. i did a vodka extract for the peppers, cinnamon and nibs but i wasn’t impressed with the taste (too subtle on all but the pasilla). recently i have seen recipes for cinnamon extracts and cocoa extracts as well using vodka and an instant pot. i was wondering if anyone has used this approach to adding flavors to the brewing (secondary) process?
thoughts? probably best to do all separate to control the final balance

I don't know that I'd use an instant pot to cook vodka.... You can make an extract at room temperature without the fire hazard of pressurized alcohol (assuming you're using the pressure cycle). Just soak the stuff in vodka, it'll extract. And the best place to add the extract is when fermentation is done, to taste.

I don't know that I'd use an instant pot to cook vodka.... You can make an extract at room temperature without the fire hazard of pressurized alcohol (assuming you're using the pressure cycle). Just soak the stuff in vodka, it'll extract. And the best place to add the extract is when fermentation is done, to taste.
probably the safer bet. my thinking was i might get a better concentrated flavor using the instant pot method, but perhaps i should just give it more time to soak, and keep all the ingredients separate to control the overall blend.

probably the safer bet. my thinking was i might get a better concentrated flavor using the instant pot method, but perhaps i should just give it more time to soak, and keep all the ingredients separate to control the overall blend.
Remember, you have no idea who was posting those Youtube videos or for that matter, whether they survived the process more than once! Good luck with the tincture approach - it works fine for me.

I've created a few vodka and bourbon tinctures (all room temperature extraction). They've worked well when I've done the disciplined thing of working out a ratio on a small sample. The flavour definitely builds if you leave it longer, though it will stop increasing after a while. If it's not strong enough you can filter the vodka into a new jar with whatever your extracting.

And yep, doing them separately would be the greatest control, but I haven't had the patience or the space to do that. They're also pretty stable, so you could be working on them months before you brew to get the ratios right.

Back