Creativity Brew?

AGbrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
Need help on a recipe.

Looking for under 5.5% abv and low bitterness. Malt forward if possible. Not opposed to an Pale Ale or IPA, but not outright looking for it. Might even convince me to do my first NEIPA that is tequila barrel aged or simply a Blonde Ale. Sky's the limit (as long as it comes from the ingredients below), let me hear your ideas.

Malt/Sugars/Adjuncts:
Golden Promise
Cane Sugar
Oats
Honey
Maple Syrup
Molasses

Hops (only have 1 ounce of each):
Mosaic
Galaxy
Citra
Centennial
Northern Brewer
Nugget

Yeast:
Imperial Darkness
US-05
Wyeast Scottish Edinburg
Whitelabs Chimay (wlp-500)
wyeast hefewiezen (weinstephaner...or however you spell it)

Other:
Oak Chips from Jack Daniels Barrel
Rum
Congnac
Bourbon
Scotch
Irish Whiskey
Tequila
Red wine
White wine

I recon most them malts you could almost use in the same grist. Looks like it will be light going by what's on offer other than molasses.
Maybe a promise molasses oats type grist hopped lightly maybe Northern brewer bittering centennial nugget for the finish and yeasties will be that edinburg looks intreeging I'm suspecting that yeast is a low attenuator so should leave you some body and molasses flavour I'd go 1:1 bittering to gravity.

Guessing this will leave you a full bodied malty pale ale...

I recon most them malts you could almost use in the same grist. Looks like it will be light going by what's on offer other than molasses.
Maybe a promise molasses oats type grist hopped lightly maybe Northern brewer bittering centennial nugget for the finish and yeasties will be that edinburg looks intreeging I'm suspecting that yeast is a low attenuator so should leave you some body and molasses flavour I'd go 1:1 bittering to gravity.

Guessing this will leave you a full bodied malty pale ale...

This was exactly what I saw! GP oats and molasses with NB bittering and nugget finish with the Edinburg yeast!

I guess I could toast some of the golden promise to make it be a "Dark" malt. Thoughts?

Great minds think alike!:)
Man it has been too long since I've put simple sugars in my beers;)
Molasses is anything but simple. Too much and your beer tastes like blood from the high iron concentration. Ask me how I know....

Molasses is anything but simple. Too much and your beer tastes like blood from the high iron concentration. Ask me how I know....

So how much did you put in (percentage wise)?

So how much did you put in (percentage wise)?
I believe it was about 5 ounces in a 6 gallon batch. Ugly, metallic flavor but it was blackstrap. I'd recommend the mildest you can find. Grandma's and Brer Rabbit have worked well for me.

I believe it was about 5 ounces in a 6 gallon batch. Ugly, metallic flavor but it was blackstrap. I'd recommend the mildest you can find. Grandma's and Brer Rabbit have worked well for me.
What was the beer? Something light like this might also not fair too well with a heavy hand... However, blackstrap is strong stuff...
I've only ever used molasses in a stout and it was excellent. It certainly wasn't blackatrap molasses though.

What was the beer? Something light like this might also not fair too well with a heavy hand... However, blackstrap is strong stuff...
I've only ever used molasses in a stout and it was excellent. It certainly wasn't blackatrap molasses though.
Kentucky Common.

Yeah when I used it years ago I'm sure it was in brown ale

I guess I could toast some of the golden promise to make it be a "Dark" malt. Thoughts?
So - I have great book called Home Brew: Beyond the Basics and it has a section on toasting/roasting your own malts. I reread through it last night and gave it a whirl this morning with some Golden Promise! The thing is that you have to let the toasted malt sit for a week or two before using it. House smelled like bread at first and then a bit like burnt popcorn as the malt darkened up!

2lbs on a baking sheet (with aluminum foil under it) toasted at 350 for x amount of time.
- toast @350 for 20 minutes stirring occasionally for a 20 L (biscuit like malt)
- toast @350 for 30 - 40 minutes stirring occasionally for a 40 -60 L (amber like malt)
You can do a brown malt too at 400 degrees for almost an hour... However, I can say that this morning at the 25 minute mark I was ready to stop as things started to get a bit smokey. - Admittedly though I used two sheets and laid out a bit on the thin side so maybe that is why?

I'll try and post a pic with the toasted malt so you can see what I ended up with...

Gonna make this recipe in like two weeks - https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/965539/home-toasted
(A different clean hop like magnum would be nice... But I bet Northern Brewer or even nugget would be sweet!

20200321_100357_HDR.jpg 20200321_100352.jpg
I think I would recommend the pan at the bottom (the empty one) as it heated up slower though seemed a bit less even - the regular baking sheet was a bit more even but that malt darkened up pretty dark.

BTW there is a way to make your own crystal malt but it is more intensive!

Also, so glad I read this thread as it was fun to finally give this a try! I have been wanting to make this toasted recipe for years now! - Ever since I read it in the book (I highly recommend the book! I have read it more than any other brewing book to date! - even learned how to capture my own yeast from it (which I did with great success (ie. not a sour strain!)))

Last edited:
View attachment 9110 View attachment 9111
I think I would recommend the pan at the bottom (the empty one) as it heated up slower though seemed a bit less even - the regular baking sheet was a bit more even but that malt darkened up pretty dark.

BTW there is a way to make your own 'll

Can't seem to get rid of this double post!

So I decided to do a double brew first, then I'll do the experimental one (third link below). Maybe not super creative, but wanted to try dumping a new brew on top of a yeast cake from a previous brew.

First one is a Belgian Blonde
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/966180/blondie

Once that is done fermenting, the second one will be dumped on
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/957617/belgian-golden-strong-banana

Creative Brew
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/966780/molasses-ale

Back