Yeast calculation app

Peltiheikki

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have wondered why different yeast calculators give me different results.
I have mr. Malty phone app and braukaiser app and brewersfriend.com app.

Example if i put same dry yeast and og1055, worth size 20litres(5gal), 6billion cels~gram., pitch rate 0.75 and no starter. Us-05.

Result of starting cell count are:
Mr.malty and brewersfriend give me
About 69billion cels and braukaiser gives 222billion with one 11,5g dry yeast packet.

What is the right cell count in one packet?
Fermentis home page says that there is a 6billion cels in gram, so i think that those two calculators are right?
I also note that all those calculators need about 200billion cells to (cell i need) for this 5gal wort but i have to put 2pcs yeast if i use mr.Malty or BF app.

I've got good results using the brewersfriend yeast calculator based upon recipie grist. I'd go by the manufacturer website as they should be your most reliable source because they made it :). I'm a big fan of starters even when I buy a new pack of dry yeast I'll mix up a starter and collect some yeast for next brew. A starter gives you a glimpse of yeasts viability and personally think it reinvigorates it for the big game in my 21lt fermentor :D.

I'm also using this brewerfriend app.
I have done only liquid yeast starters with no broblem. This dry yeast is a new thing to me. It sounding wierd to me that other app need yeast twice as much.

Hello

I have wondered why different yeast calculators give me different results.
I have mr. Malty phone app and braukaiser app and brewersfriend.com app.

Example if i put same dry yeast and og1055, worth size 20litres(5gal), 6billion cels~gram., pitch rate 0.75 and no starter. Us-05.

Result of starting cell count are:
Mr.malty and brewersfriend give me
About 69billion cels and braukaiser gives 222billion with one 11,5g dry yeast packet.

What is the right cell count in one packet?
Fermentis home page says that there is a 6billion cels in gram, so i think that those two calculators are right?
I also note that all those calculators need about 200billion cells to (cell i need) for this 5gal wort but i have to put 2pcs yeast if i use mr.Malty or BF app.

I've been looking at this as well.
Using the BF yeast calc, a "standard" brew with an OG of 1.050 using an 11.5 g dry yeast pack, and keeping the cell count at 10b / gram, the count comes up short. Use the 6b / gram cell count for say us-05 and you're 124b cells short? Even using 23 grams (2 packs) you're still short! The numbers aren't making sense to me. Where are these numbers coming from?

I've been looking at this as well.
Using the BF yeast calc, a "standard" brew with an OG of 1.050 using an 11.5 g dry yeast pack, and keeping the cell count at 10b / gram, the count comes up short. Use the 6b / gram cell count for say us-05 and you're 124b cells short? Even using 23 grams (2 packs) you're still short! The numbers aren't making sense to me. Where are these numbers coming from?

I think that BF calculator based on mr.Malty so they give same results. I have brew many liquid yeast starter these apps and i newer had a broblem. These apps has to be something wrong in dry yeast calculations. What you think is there just "guarantee" problem? I meant that the Fermentis factory guaranted only 6b cells/g and still there is about 10-15b cell?
So they can't promise too much. Many brewers including mr. J.Palmer uses one 11,5gram yeast packet with standard 5gallon brew. Maybe the dry yeast is too cheap so they dont give a shit about that. But in my country liquid yeast cost about 10dollars/packet so it's a big differense put i one or two packet yeast to one batch.

I think that BF calculator based on mr.Malty so they give same results. I have brew many liquid yeast starter these apps and i newer had a broblem. These apps has to be something wrong in dry yeast calculations. What you think is there just "guarantee" problem? I meant that the Fermentis factory guaranted only 6b cells/g and still there is about 10-15b cell?
So they can't promise too much. Many brewers including mr. J.Palmer uses one 11,5gram yeast packet with standard 5gallon brew. Maybe the dry yeast is too cheap so they dont give a shit about that. But in my country liquid yeast cost about 10dollars/packet so it's a big differense put i one or two packet yeast to one batch.

Liquid yeast isn't as much here, but still high at $8.50. I usually don't use Mr. Malty yeast calc any more. I use liquid, and most times slurry from saved yeasts. I think the viability #'s are extremely conservative on Mr. Malty.
I did use dry yeast on my latest batch, just because my flask fell to its death as I was getting my starter ready...slurry and all.

What you dropped your flask! Empty would suck but with a fresh batch of yeast I woulda been cussing some colourful words. I carry mine with both hands knowing me I'll drop it one day touch wood!

What you dropped your flask! Empty would suck but with a fresh batch of yeast I woulda been cussing some colourful words. I carry mine with both hands knowing me I'll drop it one day touch wood!

Really late in my reply, but yes. I knocked my flask with slurry off my stir plate with my elbow while getting tin foil for cover out of the drawer! I have a pretty limited four letter vocabulary at times as well lol.

Back