The trifecta

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow, I'll have the opportunity to do all of the phases of my brewing. Brew day for a Munich Helles, rack the Raspberry Porter, and bottle the Vienna Lager. I'm predicting that I don't bottle until Monday. I have done it before, though, all 3 operations in a single day. How often do you people perform all of those operations in a single day? Might be a jaded question, since many people may not use a secondary. My apologies for not asking a jmcnamara level question. He gets some good discussions going!

we do this a lot. Spent the 14th of this month starting out popping open a Belgian that was ready. Then used those newly empty bottles to bottle a Blonde. Used the blonde's secondary to rerack and dry hop an IPA.. And then used that IPAs fermenter to brew a SMaSH IPA... got to be pretty stressful cleaning and resanitizing so much that day. But it'll be worth it. We plan on doing a good handful until summer.

I have but replace bottling with kegging and Ill add one, cleaning all vessels before the end of brewing. I have at least 10 or so kegs, grain buckets or fermentation vessels that always need a good wash and I try to get that done and use that soapy water to clean up after brewing. so the day can last at least 7 hours if done right

jeffpn said:
My apologies for not asking a jmcnamara level question. He gets some good discussions going!

Thank for the complement, although I'm sure I've asked a few silly questions on here too.

To answer yours, I don't think I've brewed and bottled on the same day, but I've done either of those while racking to a secondary in the same day.
Side note, I was at an AHA rally yesterday at DuClaw, and it was crazy to see how many fermentors and brite tanks they had. Plus the bottling and kegging lines. Really makes sense that they have a guy worrying about logistics alone

it can be cumbersome with so much equipment so you spend more time cleaning and sanitizing than brewing, the good thing is you can always drink doing both lol

jeffpn said:
I have done it before, though, all 3 operations in a single day. How often do you people perform all of those operations in a single day?

I have always done the trifecta in a single day. Long ago I replaced bottling with kegging, so that aspect has been simplified, but I continue to brew, transfer and keg on a single day. I found there is enough down time waiting for water to boil, that these other tasks can be woven into the brewing schedule.

Before I built my beer room, I was dependent on using the kitchen facilities, so with a family and young children, that required late nights, or early mornings. Also I was humping equipment up stairs to brew, and back down after. If you got a set of stairs in the brewing equation, it works best to do it all at one time.

Now with a dedicated brewing room I could break up these processes I suppose, but old habits die hard.

As it turns out, my 17 year old daughter talked me into taking the Vette to Carillon Park, where they have an 1800s style brewery. I'm drinking a squash beer now. It's sour. Bottling and racking will probably be tonight, and brewing tomorrow. http://places.singleplatform.com/carill ... ntegration

Ooh!! Shiny thing!!

I put probably 100 miles on the Corvette today, with the top down in FEBRUARY! I bottled one batch and racked another. I'd say it was a good day!

I once brewed two batches back-to-back in a single day. That was hard enough.

wolfie7873 said:
I am thinking of doing this in a couples weeks (fam. will be gone)... Hopefully it will only add 2hrs.
I've bottled and brewed parallel to each other a couple times. Definitely not ideal, but it does keep one busy...

I've done all 3 on a few occasions, but I prefer to space them out, or do them back-to-back rather than parallel or interspersed. I have enough confusion going on without introducing more!!..

But yeah, just recently a couple of friends and my wife & I brewed an all-grain 11 gal batch (I have one 6-gal carboy, and several 5-gal carboys) and we brewed first, then racked a bunch of meads, and bottled a pilsner all in one day. In the past it wasn't that unusual to brew (extract), rack a beer, and bottle on the same day, because it was the only day I could find the time to do it all.

However, recently, even with extra help (2 friends that are getting into homebrewing), we spent more time eating and drinking than we had planned (and it was not un-welcome either) and we didn't get around to doing everything we had planned. But we had a good time.

I did an unplanned trifecta today. But it was a very easy trifecta. I started by racking a batch from primary to secondary to free up a carboy. Then I did a partial boil extract early this afternoon. I saw airlock activity in just over an hour after pitching its yeast. Just now I finished kegging another batch. That makes 5 kegs in my keezer now. One more to go to reach planned capacity. I wonder when I'll add two more faucets?

2 kegs for conditioning, great plan, keeps you from drinking it too soon

Yeah, I was thinking that as well.

sbaclimber said:
wolfie7873 said:
I am thinking of doing this in a couples weeks (fam. will be gone)... Hopefully it will only add 2hrs.
I've bottled and brewed parallel to each other a couple times. Definitely not ideal, but it does keep one busy...
Just finished!
2x26l. = 7hrs, including setup and cleanup
Normally I need 4-5hrs, so I wasn't too off in hoping for +2. :D

Brewed a Spotted Cow today. I had to rack my Kölsch (which was ready anyway) to get a carboy. I also kegged my Nut Brown today.

Back