Star-San bubbles

Arbe0

Premium Member
Reaction score
ok..star-san bubbles are good...right? But after swishing it around in my Secondary to get it all over, I got a lot of bubbles after I dumped it out. I racked my wort into it anyway with about and inch or more of bubbles in the bottom.
I am thinking it is ok to do this. what do you think?

Quote from Charlie Talley, a Five Star big shot:

" Star-San is an “acid rinse” when measured at 1oz. per 5 gallons of water. Its chemical composition is a typical soap, like that found in tooth paste called DDBSA (dodecylbenzyl sulfonic acid) + food grade phosphoric acid. It stops working when the pH gets above 3.5 and so if diluted in wort acts as a yeast nutrient/food. Star-San will “last forever” if RO or distilled water is used to mix it and it stays enclosed like in a spray bottle, but it lasts a long time anyway and can be used multiple times or up to about 3 months. The product will turn opaque in iron or manganese rich water. Star-San has a contact time of 3 minutes (EPA) or 30 seconds per Charlie. If plastic soaked in Star-San becomes cloudy, soak in PBW to turn the plated soap (film on the plastic) back into the detergent it is supposed to be. The remaining foam after use is ok and has no detrimental effects on your beer, such as head retention. Charlie recommends 30 seconds to 1 minute soak for copper and aluminum, and says they should never be left to soak any longer than 3-4 hours. In other words don’t soak overnight, it only hurts not helps. Star-San is different as a sanitizer than Iodine and bleach, because both of those contain halogens which are called “blind sanitizers.” These halogens will not kill in the presence of sugar and actually attack the sugar first before going after any bacteria. On an end note for this wonderful sanitizer, it will clear up toe-jam.'

I have been told that after dilution in the wort the remaining sanitizer is actually a yeast nutrient. No worries, you are indeed, OK.

wow...very detailed info on Star-san. I have always heard that star-san bubbles are good but not sure about how much.

now I know
thank you all for the info.

Yeah when I sanitize my primary, I always have several inches of foam left. Often times when I'm filling the carboy as the volume rises, some of the foam comes out and oozes all over the place. That is my one and only complaint about star-san.

The foam is also an active sanitizer - think of that foam coming out the top of the carboy as a form of insurance against infection! It also sanitizes the racking cane hose and the rim of the carboy.... It's a good thing all around, except for the mess.

Back