Small split batch T-58 / S-33

Bottled the T-58 a week ago, S-33 went into the bottle today. It still had hazy layers, but I could only assume it was ready.
Both got me 6 bottles of .5 liters (and change), of which I left half unprimed.

Did a comparison of two unprimed, room-temperature samples.
T-58 unfortunately tastes like sherry. At first I smelled something like "roasted", and I tasted steak (you know, that sensation you get from steak, grilled with just some salt and pepper), then I realised it's a sherry taste. Shame, I can't really taste or smell anything else behind it. I think there's ghosts of what I expect from T-58, but, well...
S-33 tastes really lovely. There's a definite bitterness (small wonder with 67 IBU and a BUGU of 1), but it's rather mellow. It is very kind on the nose, but I can't tell how much of this is from the yeast. I get some definite sweetness too.

I should note that I'm terrible at dégustation, it's very difficult for me to identify taste and put it into words, so I just stick with what I'm sure of.

I'll just hope that this one T-58 bottle was a freak so I can do some proper side-by-sides in the future.

That sweet feeling in my mouth reminds me of another brew with (a lot of) Magnum. I wonder whether that hop is so discreet that it lets the residual sugars shine or whether it gives a sweet feel somehow.
Also, both brews smelled very, very nice during bottling. I don't know how to describe it, but maybe floral would match. Not sure if that's from the hops or the yeast.

Well I'm glad one of em is a keeper asharadane :) let em age and the flavours should meld better and you might even be able to taste different flavours more easily. The sweetness maybe from under attenuation?

What I got from T-58 was very little peppery as they claimed but the esters bite at first then as it ages they will smooth out. When a beer needs to age and the yeast flavor is over powering I call it yeast bite. There is more of that in the T-58. Also a little more mouthfeel and residual malt flavors that take a lot of hops to bitter it enough for an IPA. The fruity floral eventually mixed with the esters so as not to taste the yeast bite and made good Belgian ales.

The S-33 was not as sharp in yeast bite but took longer to clarify, so when cleared up was close in profile. Maybe a touch less mouthfeel and helped hops stand out a little more. Still the fruity esters of a good Belgian when mature. I prefer the 33 for Belgian IPA's but you need to use plenty of bittering hops as the aroma hops fade out as the yeast is aging.

The first time I tried T-58 was because it was much cheaper than the other dry yeasts and so I figured why not give it a go.
Could that "Sherry" taste be yeast bite as I am describing? If so it should smooth out.

Both make good beer IMO but if you want to go Trappist style go with Trappist yeast. Neither of these 2 will be as Belgian in long lived fruity floral esters.

Could that "Sherry" taste be yeast bite as I am describing? If so it should smooth out.
I don't know, T-58 certainly never produced anything even remotely similar until now.
I've read that "sherry" taste can be due to oxydization, and the whole racking business was a bit messy. Altough I did not get any sherry in my 2 first carboy batches, which were even more fubar, so go figure :)

I've used T-58 twice, both for IPA attempts. First in a "Belgian DIPA", I guess. Massively hopped with Magnum and Glacier. Tasted amazing, reminiscent of Stone's Cali-Belgique. I'll have to try and reproduce this.
Second in a lower-gravity brew, even more hopped, with a variety called Junga and with Perle Hallertau. Didn't like this one as much - somehow the Belgian character dominates and I'm not getting the hops at all. Which is implausible, given the IBUs and BUGU. It is a lovely beer (my buddy won't shut up about it), but not so much IPA. This second brew was one of my reasons for doing this split batch, I was curious about T-58's character.
First attempt was full extract, the second late addition, I don't know whether that changed anything.

As you can probably tell by now, I lean more towards IPA than trappist. But I am interested in these yeasts for a bit of a twist.

Reactions: J A
Can't beat a good IPA but I like to try brewing some of everything. A crisp clean yeast makes better ipa but to bring up a little fruity spicy in a IPA looks like we both lean toward the S- 33.

Mangrove Jack M44 is a good sweet fruity yeast, the liquid yeast its self smells good and usually I hate the smell of yeast

The first taste of S-33 was definitely interesting and I can imagine using it again. I'm a little wary of its clarification properties though.

From memory, T-58 does have something spicy, but also something of banana - not that yucky artificial banana flavour, but something that reminds me of fresh banana.
I found that it performs really well, drops out and clarifies satisfactorily, can handle some decent alcohol and, all over, I've quite enjoyed it.

I can get dry M-44, although it is described as "almost completely neutral" :)

The S-33 will eventually drop dead clear. At over 6 weeks in the bottle, it'll lose most of its yeast character. The yeast sediment packs pretty well so you can pour it very clear if you want. If you want to have the yeast influence, just give it a swirl before you pour it and try to get the yeast in the glass. If you want clear American Wheat beer, it's a great one for that. I got better body and character out of the T-58 and I got the same subtle flavors that you describe - very nice. I feel like that's an all-around better yeast, but S-33 definitely has its place in the toolbox.

Yup S-33 just needs more patience, but will turn out good beer.
The first taste of S-33 was definitely interesting and I can imagine using it again. I'm a little wary of its clarification properties though.

From memory, T-58 does have something spicy, but also something of banana - not that yucky artificial banana flavour, but something that reminds me of fresh banana.
I found that it performs really well, drops out and clarifies satisfactorily, can handle some decent alcohol and, all over, I've quite enjoyed it.

I can get dry M-44, although it is described as "almost completely neutral" :)

The T-58 has the Belgian attributes and makes a good Dubbel for sure. But I think to get hops to stand out the S-33 may blend better. It's hard to make new styles balance out.

Just a quick update about S-33. I'm tasting it at bottling +1 month and it's disgustingly sweet. I think many brewers and drinkers like a lot of residual sweetness, but I find it yucky. Like Amsterdam Navigator or such, really not my game.
If I use this yeast again, I'll be using sugar to curb the sweetness.

Just a quick update about S-33. I'm tasting it at bottling +1 month and it's disgustingly sweet. I think many brewers and drinkers like a lot of residual sweetness, but I find it yucky. Like Amsterdam Navigator or such, really not my game.
If I use this yeast again, I'll be using sugar to curb the sweetness.

Is that a fruity sweet or malt sweet?

Reactions: J A
I've had yeast under attenuate and be sweet , you can somewhat fix it if your kegging but not bottling

My bet is that it's both. That yeast doesn't want to attenuate very far, anyway and it will definitely lend some sweet fruit notes (sort of like mixed fruit baby food) that will push the flavor further toward the sweet side.

I'd say it's malt sweet. Kinda cereal-y.

I still have a few bottles to taste, but for now I do think I'll use some plain sugar to push attenuation with S-33.

sort of like mixed fruit baby food
Haha that sounds amazing - I'll have to see if I catch that on the next tasting.

I would go with a different yeast like 05 or1056 or wlp01to try for a cleaner taste. Adding sugar would just make it a dryer sweet. IMO

aha that sounds amazing - I'll have to see if I catch that on the next tasting.

Yeah...in a wheat beer, I definitely got some banana. Depending on other ingredients, you can get different things.

I would go with a different yeast like 05 or1056 or wlp01to try for a cleaner taste. Adding sugar would just make it a dryer sweet. IMO
We'll see. I still have a pack of S-33 so it's very likely I'll be using it at some point in the future. Maybe a bit of sugar in there, and generous hops...

We'll see. I still have a pack of S-33 so it's very likely I'll be using it at some point in the future. Maybe a bit of sugar in there, and generous hops...
Maybe a Belgian Blonde? Has a slight sweetness with sugars added to dry it out and more alcohol but more hops. And a different beer to brew.:)

Back