Small split batch T-58 / S-33

Got a higher gravity than I was aiming for. Must have thrown in too much DME - bowl too small for the whole amount - split the amount - miscalculated.
If you got more DME in the mix, that's good. ;)

I don't mind a high OG, per se, but from what I've read, the higher the gravity, the longer the brew takes to mature, and I was hoping to complete the test sooner rather than later.

Yeah, that might take a while to get right. You'll be able to sample along the way, but I suspect that it won't be at it's best until around 3 months in the bottle. Just hold some for as long as possible and see how it mellows.
If you want to test results quickly, then beers in the .038 to .042 range can be sampled as soon as 3-4 weeks after brewing, even with bottle conditioning...and as soon as 2 weeks with force-carbing.

beers in the .038 to .042 range can be sampled as soon as 3-4 weeks after brewing, even with bottle conditioning

Well, these are going to take a bit more aren't they^^
Will be interesting to sample and see how the evolve.

After two weeks, T-58 seems well on the way to clarified, S-33 still looks rather like a jar of caramel candy.

Reactions: J A
Almost ready for a diacetyl rest then asharadane?

Neither of those yeasts will need a D-rest. It's good to let them finish out in their higher temp range, but it's mostly for attenuation.

I've never had a diacetyl rest per se, but isn't it more of a lager issue? I only brew ales, and they always stay in primary for quite a bit anyway.
These two for instance are getting at least another week.

It's not a diacetyl rest per se, but an increase in temperature near the end of fermentation for ale yeast will help increase attenuation and will help the yeast digest some of the remaining fermentation by-products. Makes a "cleaner" beer for me.

I thought you were doing lager fermentation :rolleyes:. yea I raise fermentation towards end of both lager and ale fermentation schedules after about day five usually 18c ale to 20c and my lager ferment temp of 12c to 18-20c (gradually).

Yes I think of it like this after ripping through a batch of sweet wort yeast are slowing down and have used up most of their reserves and are about to flock out and go to bed so I bump up temp to encourage them to chew up them last few remains of sugar and fermentation by products. The colder it is the slower they are o_O.

I raise fermentation towards end of both lager and ale fermentation
I'm doing that for these two batches too. To the upper end of the "recommended" bracket. As best I can anyway.

I've herd or Brewers being referred to before as yeast farmers. Think about it we cultivate sweet malty wort with perfect ph and balance of fermentable sugars for them to operate in to achieve our alcoholic bubbly beverages:p. A lot of how good a Brewer is in my book is how they manage their yeast. Even once we have achieved the perfect balance of fermentable sugars and ph we then set the wort medium at the most pleasant temperature we can for their up coming sugar party :D. And when they floculation and go to bed we will then tuck them into a Masson jar till we want them to repeat that process again. Yeast Are like teenagers who have discoverd the freedom from their parents and alcohol and partying both yeast and teenagers spend their weekends partying:).

Nice analogy, Ben^^

For those familiar with S-33, does it usually take longer to clarify? Does it just stay more cloudy?

Nice analogy, Ben^^

For those familiar with S-33, does it usually take longer to clarify? Does it just stay more cloudy?

S-33 will clear beautifully if you cold-crash. It'll drop pretty clear on it's own at higher temps and that's one reason it benefits from a swirly or two toward the end of fermentation to ensure attenuation. Probably about the same as US-05 if you've used that one. If you want to be sure to get the yeast flavor, I'd avoid too much clearing and treat it like a hefe. Try to pick up a little yeast when you siphon for bottling and keep it moving around as you fill.
T-58 flocs a little less agressively but it seemed to clear very nicely for me when cold-crashing.

a swirly or two toward the end of fermentation
So I just give the carboy a few swirls? Haha I usually almost religiously avoid moving the brew ^^

I don't know if I can cold crash... Best I can do is open the window and sprinkle the carboys, I guess.
Not that I feel a need for it with T-58, it's floccing quite beautifully actually, just as the other times I've used it.
Attenuates and floculates better (or at least more) than advertised by the manufacturer, I would say.

So I just give the carboy a few swirls? Haha I usually almost religiously avoid moving the brew ^^
Yep...rousing the yeast encourages some activity and helps ensure against a stuck fermentation. You could just let it sit and see how far it goes - if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Actually I've had the best attenuation with a small sugar-feed about 3 days into fermentation.

Last edited:
Well, it doesn't seem stuck... I'll just let it go its own way at least for a bit more. As you say, if it ain't broke...

Nice analogy, Ben^^

I brew lots of Belgians and have compared these 2 side by side several times.
T-58 always took less time to clear up. It is listed as a high flocculation yeast on the safbrew website. Other than that I won't say anymore so we can compare notes when you have finished your trial batches.

T-58 always took less time to clear up.

Interesting...I'll have to run these side by side so I can compare in identical conditions. The Table Saison I made recently with T-58 was definitely brilliant after kegging and sitting for a bit.

I brew lots of Belgians and have compared these 2 side by side several times.
T-58 always took less time to clear up. It is listed as a high flocculation yeast on the safbrew website. Other than that I won't say anymore so we can compare notes when you have finished your trial batches.

Right you are.
On another note, did you ever use T-58 with highly hopped beers? What is your take on how that works out?

Right you are.
On another note, did you ever use T-58 with highly hopped beers? What is your take on how that works out?
Used it for a Belgian I PA. See how your comparison goes then we can compare thoughts.

Back