Show your DIY Projects

2015 rig.jpg

this is not pretty sorry, I'm a hard core brewer "not bartender" lol Lets make some beer!

My back deck rims set up with a automated control panel, makes a brew day much easier

also below is my keezer with taps and the fermentation chamber and how I cool it, there has to be a fan on the fridge coils or it will not get below 70 ...I raised my fridge as high as I could so it wouldn't hit the first carboy and cool it colder than the second

I use a weld-less thermal-well in the lids to measure the temps

Attachments

• WP_20150703_001.jpg
    WP_20150703_001.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,642
  • WP_20140827_002.jpg
    WP_20140827_002.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,639
  • WP_20140827_005.jpg
    WP_20140827_005.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 1,595
  • WP_20150703_005.jpg
    WP_20150703_005.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,686
  • WP_20150703_004.jpg
    WP_20150703_004.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 1,632
  • WP_20150817_001.jpg
    WP_20150817_001.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1,406
Last edited:
Too late now, but putting the taps closer together, and towards one end so kegs would be easier to maneuver, would of helped. Not as visually appealing though.

Perhaps you could get three single width trays?

It's finished. I think the mini-fridge I got may be a bit too weak to combat the NC summer heat in my garage. I've got a water reservoir inside that i occasionally have to add ice packs to to keep 53-57 for my S-23, but it's working so far.

Attachments

• update1.jpg
    update1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,493
  • update2.jpg
    update2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,477
Not sure if I can resurrect this thread after the redesign...but here goes.
It is nothing special, but now that I have a porch to brew on, I decided to try a "proper" 3-tier gravity system.
My trusty old canner remains as the mash tun on the top level. I bought a second (more powerful) canner as a kettle on the middle, and the bucket goes on the floor.
Conveniently, we had an old changing table which I was able to steal to use as the structural basis for my new "brewing table". The mid-level is not fastened and can be slid back into the table to save space while not brewing.
Not shown in the picture are my old ss brew pot and a new immersion heater for heating sparge water. They reside on the top level next to the mash tun as needed (I only do a single sparge, which just gets dumped into the mash tun).
Of course, I will have to buy a "real" spigot for the kettle too...
changing-table.jpg
brewing-table.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if I can resurrect this thread after the redesign...but here goes.
It is nothing special, but now that I have a porch to brew on, I decided to try a "proper" 3-tier gravity system.
My trusty old canner remains as the mash tun on the top level. I bought a second (more powerful) canner as a kettle on the middle, and the bucket goes on the floor.
Conveniently, we had an old changing table which I was able to steal to use as the structural basis for my new "brewing table". The mid-level is not fasten and can be slid back into the table to save space while not brewing.
Not shown in the picture are my old ss brew pot and a new immersion heater for heating sparge water. They reside on the top level next to the mash tun as needed (I only do a single sparge, which just gets dumped into the mash tun).
Of course, I will have to buy a "real" spigot for the kettle too...
View attachment 949 View attachment 950

Now THAT's a rig! Good to hear from you again, SBA!

Thanks! I have of course been lurking, but glad to finally be able to post something new.
Things have been absolutely crazy the past few months with both private and business moves (and still are...), but I have tried to get my brewing back up and running asap.
I actually brewed using my 3 tiered setup the same day as posting the pics above. Besides needing a bit of insulation around the kettle to keep the boil temp at an optimum, it all worked like a charm and exactly as I had hoped. :)

Thanks for bumping this SBA. Nice smooth looking setup. Should be very consistent and easy to maintain.

Been going to do this for a while so here goes.
I always have been a do it yourself type so built an addition (satellite dish out) onto the house for a "beer" room.
brewery construction 2.jpg

Made a water tight rolling cart for fermenting under the counter in winter fall spring with heat control with small electric heater. Small vent from under the main house keeps it cool enough to use the tee shirt trick in the heat of the summer for 65-68 F fermentation. The cart rolls out next to the boil keggles so first time beer is lifted is when it goes into chiller after fermentation is complete.
IMAG0202.jpg

Frig with controller for lagers or chilling. Will hold 2 buckets or carboys and a few bottles of beer. Keep glasses in freezer.
IMAG0200.jpg

8x9ft storage room for grain, bottles, kegs, meat grinder, etc. Fairly air tight so only little heater easily keeps it 50ish when sub zero weather outside.
IMAG0201.jpg

Won a freezer at a company Christmas party so why not make an 8 keg keezer! Really like the Intertap taps. They are easier to dismantle for cleaning than Perlick and work problem free. (Root Beer tap is by itself) Tap handles are just some dead birch limbs from up the river that I turned out one day on the lathe. Will make some different ones some day in different stains for different beers.
IMAG0063.jpg
IMAG0197.jpg

And last but not least is the new revised modified tweaked RIMS brewing system. I can brew 2-10gallon batches of different beers at the same time in about 7 hours. We used to brew 10gal in 6 hours with the 2-10gal kettle-1-16gal keggle system but we came across another cheap keggle (given to me) so I dreamed up this system. 10gal mash tun's sit side by side and keggles serve as boil kettles and HLT's. I do have to use a spare kettle as a grant so to speak so I can empty both first runs into separate keggles then sparge. Once the water is in the keggles it's just a matter of turning valves and flipping switches:cool:.
IMAG0195.jpg

very very cool!
I can only dream of such space...:cool:
That being said....I am not sure what I would do with 2x10Gal. of beer at a time either (I brew 1x/mo). ;)

nice rig, Im close, I can brew a 20 gallon in one session but I chose not too, Im cutting back on drinking so much, gaining too much weight lol

I originally bought the 3-10gal kettles with the stand and various other kegs and carboys on craigslist from a guy. Got the keggles cheap but the Beer Room took some time and money. We do enjoy the view and relaxation it gives us.
IMAG0204.jpg

So you ferment in bar fridge up on those draw? That other freezer just for house? What you brew in here too looks like an extension hay see the gyprock joins. Looks awesome mate:)

So you ferment in bar fridge up on those draw? That other freezer just for house? What you brew in here too looks like an extension hay see the gyprock joins. Looks awesome mate:)

Thanks! The freezer on the right is for fermenting so i can do two at a time. The fridge on the left is just for store bought bottled beer. :)

I see heaps of people have that brand fridge/freezer Hisense you bought it new or second hand must be a good value brand eh? You must get crazy boil in that pot with that banjo burner hay:p no waiting for the boil with you! I see that freezer basket on top what you Biab and strain the bag through this?

Sick day so I have two projects to do: I'm building a better hop spider and etching my kettle.

I see heaps of people have that brand fridge/freezer Hisense you bought it new or second hand must be a good value brand eh? You must get crazy boil in that pot with that banjo burner hay:p no waiting for the boil with you! I see that freezer basket on top what you Biab and strain the bag through this?

I bought both of those freezers at Costco for $140 each. 3 year warranty. Couldn't pass that up!

Yeah that pot boils in about 10 minutes. But I'm still doing extract recipes so I'm only boiling 3 gallons at a time. I plan on switching to BIAB after my next batch, so that will mean I have to buy a bigger pot.

Good luck with the switch or should I say adopted /adapted brewing technique I've been BIAB I got for at least 10 brews now. One thing I've found is crush your grain small for better efficiency. Don't have to worry about stuck sparges or high wheat or adjunct amounts as you don't really use grain bed as filter. It adds a new dimension to your brew day and your resultant beer. One big thing I've found when comparing to extract it the better quality head on my beers a nice tight foamy head that lasts I remember my extract batches were sometimes a struggle with head. Now we all love some good head:p.

Back