Reminders / Alerts

Yea that kitchen timer looks the goods something simple to use for a simpleton like me :p

The bottom line is that the app has a timer that is not reliable. It's a paid app. Features should work. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if the timer wasn't there. But it is, and being a paid app, it should work.

Seems like we got a bit off topic here. Just for clarity, my original post / feature request was not for a BF built-in brew day timer.

I'm talking about email reminders / alerts for things like ....
  • Transfer to secondary
  • Add first dry hop
  • Drop yeast
  • Cold Crash
  • Package, etc

How could you need a reminder to do those things ?
I never set a day to dry hop or start cold crashing since every ferment will run at its own speed so stating dry hop on day 9-12 then cold crash for 48 hours may not always work , the brew will guide you

Yep too true these things are definitely variable from one brew to the next including yeasts used ferment temp ambient temp weather your brewing a hoppy bear or fruit beer ale or lager. We don't want things to mechanical and automated that's part of why I love Homebrewing a attention given to that wort throughout brew from grain till pouring it into the glass a rewarding experience.

I never set a day to dry hop or start cold crashing since every ferment will run at its own speed so stating dry hop on day 9-12 then cold crash for 48 hours may not always work , the brew will guide you
You can't question a guy's process. It's what he likes. If it's an idea others like and what, no reason not to implement it. You wouldn't have to use it.

I agree you can have 10 different brewers that brew good beer and i guarantee something is different in every ones set up

I carry my boil kettle from my garage to my basement to chill. I try not to get too drunk during brew day!

I hear what you're saying. But when you have say 10 different beers in various stages of fermentation and conditioning, it can be easy to lose track of who is where in the process. As you suggested, many times the beer will tell you when it's ready. e.g. - You know to transfer to secondary when you've hit terminal gravity as measured by a hydrometer. But things like dry-hopping and conditioning time are far less tangible and measurable. For example, if I have a RIS that I know I want to condition for 6 months before packaging, it's going to be very difficult for me to tell (by taste) if it's been 6 months or 8 months. So a reminder "system" is not meant to be a replacement for the brewer's senses or brain, but just a tool to help them keep track of what's going on.

many people don't do this, me included but keeping good notes in this software that's what there for and also filling out your recipe and brew session correct with notes. then when revisiting it will say the date you started it.

an email reminder is not feasible but a user pop up reminder to complete a function might work but that's also reliant on a check list and a switch for the user to turn reminders on, not everyone will want this some want less or even customizable check lists,

just some thoughts :)

Last edited:
+1 as Ozarks said. I'm sure this is what the brew sessions section is for.

too many emails going out, we have as of today 16,892 members

Back