Passion fruit beer.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gday all I've got another curve ball for you all.

I was at the fruit market on the weekend just past and was buying some fresh fruit and vegetables. anyhow I ended up picking up a bargain big box and passion fruit for $3! I've seen them for sale at my local supermarket for $1 each:eek: so now you see why I bought a whole damn box of em:).

Of course my thoughts straight away went to the hombrewer side of My brain and said "I can brew a beer with that:rolleyes:".

So yep that's my Brewers conundrum ATM what am I going to brew with all these passion fruit!

I'm thinking of a passion fruit saison? I haven't brewed one yet saison that is. This has been on my list of beers to try brewing and I know they are pretty much open to the imagination of the brewer at the helm of the brew pot:p. I was thinking of a Pilsner base throwing in some Bittering hops to around 20 ibu and letting the yeast do its thing in my balmy 33c temperature within reasoning maybe 26c ferment? Or lower 22c?

I've got probably 200 passion fruit I'm not kidding! I was thinking in weight terms of 100g or at least 100 fruit worth half at 5 mins and half pasteurised at 70c for half hour and added to fermentor at end of Primary fermentation.

OG of aroun 1.046
Ibu 20 ibu

Any help would be appreciated.
Questions have I got the right styl to try this on?
should I just go clean ale yeast, pils malt with some caramel malt for residuals sweetness?
I've only got access to mangrove jacks dry saison yeast.
Hops if late what would u use Galaxy for extra passion fruit?
I'm thinking maybe adding 1kg wheat malt (head retention body) to 3kg Pilsner malt? Or should I use pale ale malt?

What's you experience when adding passion fruit to beers? Amounts?
Cheers all .

Last edited:
Ok thanks everyone for your valuable input so far not:cool:. I've found a yeast mangrove jacks M27 Belgian ale/ farmhouse yeast from what I've read on other forums so far is this yeast is a beast an can rip pretty much through all your sugar leaving 1.002 :eek:. So I'm going with this interesting Belgian ale beast yeast. Looks like I'll be letting her rip at ambient temperatures here as I see most people saying 26c as starting ferment temp. Now to find a good base to brew this with mmm maybe not Pilsner I'm thinking obviously more of an ale base maybe some golden promise some wheat and probably some Vienna to add some sweetness. I'll get back to youse with a recipe then go from there

Canadian Honey Malt adds some sweetness that holds with a fruit beer. I think any saison yeast fermented properly would chew most of the sugar up so it could end up to tart. Cut one open, smell it, taste it, you are a good brewer, what would make it taste good to you?

Ok it's all locked in I've put my money where my mouth is and went to the brew store and picked up my ingredients. if all goes to plan I'll be mashing in this recipe this weekend. With temperatures supposedly 40c over weekend I'll have no problems keeping fermentor at 26c.
I'm thinking ill pasteurise passion fruit at 70c for half an hour to kill any unwanted yeast off before adding to fermentor once fermentation is subsiding. Below is the recipe feel free to advise on any modifications I could make to improve the brew. I ended up getting some Galaxy hops will add them at flame out and let them sit for 20mins this way I'm bound to get some passion fruit flavour;). I'm unsure weather to dry hop more Galaxy when I add my passion fruit.
I added wheat for mouthfeel body and head retention and thought half kg Vienna will add some residual sweetness hopefully after yeast has stripped all fermentable sugars from brew:rolleyes:. Time will tell.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/451183/passion-fruit-saison

Might just add juice and pulp not seeds and skin, or is that what you were thinking?

Might just add juice and pulp not seeds and skin, or is that what you were thinking?
Yep I need to sit down with knife and a spoon and cut em all open and scoop out the pulp I can then weigh this. I wonder if there is a general rule of thumb of how much fruit one can add to their brew without ruining it.
On other thread it may add some bitterness So maybe a cup or two of passion fruit pulp see how that goeso_O?​

Ok I need to emphasise this at this point this is one of them brews where if it turns out it will be amazing or the other side if it goes bad it will be undrinkable :eek::p.

I just sat down and cut open and scooped the guts out of as many fresh looking passion fruit as I could. They aren't the freshest fruit either btw they had a bit of Mould growing on the outside so I selected the best looking ones I suppose this is why it was 3 bucks a boxo_O. All in all I got 510grams worth! Half a liter of passion fruit pulp! I'm gunna toss all this in! foolish? mmm well who dares wins they say:D. What's your thoughts on this people should I still add them to secondary after 30min pasteurisation or do you think I should dump em in with 5 to go in the kettle? You recon 500g is to,mucho_O?

The pulp tastes a little bitter, a little tart, and slightly sweet I'm thinking this is saison attributes.

Anyhow I've just threw that pulp in the freezer till brew day I'm thinking this should kill a few,of those nasties that are bound to be munching on that fruit. Cheers

Last edited:
lets us know how this turns out mate.When were you thinking off adding end of boil, primary or secondary?

I like to go primary with fruit so it will have a better chance of settling cleaner in secondary after coming off the fruit.
About 3 kilo's of peaches was excellent, 1 of huckleberries which are sweet but very tart when the sugar is gone was about right also.
You should be good:rolleyes:

Was thinking off adding passion fruit to primary after fermentation is easing probably day 4-5

Look at that nice creamy 2.5 LT starter of crazy Belgian mangrove jacks yeast ready to be let lose in my up,coming saison. Today was quite warm so I let it spin at ambient temperature of probably 36c wow! As you can see on the flask it went crazy but it is still fermenting this evening.

Reason why I'm adding passion fruit to secondary so to speak is more flavour. Cheers looking forward to brewing this brew tomorrow :).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    504.3 KB · Views: 311
That saison is going bonkers this morning I've never had a brew ferment as hard as this one! I had to use a blow off tube not because krausen was bubbling out of the air lock but because the airlock was blowing dry from the vigorous airflow. There is a constant stream of c02 exiting the chamber. :)

The aroma,from the Galaxy hops is just lovely.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 365
yup Ive had chuggers, chug chug blow, chug chug, blow, they also seam to be gasping for air lol those are fun

yup Ive had chuggers, chug chug blow, chug chug, blow, they also seam to be gasping for air lol those are fun
Yea I pitched a 2 liter starter in it last night I had enough yeast to brew a lager so I think this coupled with the 28c ferment temperature I've got it set to ATM is the reason for this extra vigorous fermentation :p. I've read of this yeast fermenting out to 1.000 :eek:. It truly is a crazy yeast. I've also herd of it dragging its feet and taking over three weeks to finish.

Wow looks awsome that smell must be magic.

Wow looks awsome that smell must be magic.
yea I haven't used many pungent hops lately been brewing mainly pilsners. The fermentation chamber smells of pungent hop aroma combined with nose stinging co2 gas. I might just go and stick my head in there now:p.

Ok it's 36 hours post pitch and gravity is reading 1.008 wow:eek::D. I thought I was going to pitch in the passion fruit day 3 or 4 once fermentation was settling down but nope in she went this arvo. I pasteurised the passion fruit with a little water in thermomix on 75c for half an hour. I gave the fermentor a good swirl once the passionfruit was in and I'm happy to say she's off bubbling again probably 3 bubbles a second.

I tasted the test sample and my tongue was lit up with spicy pepper:rolleyes: definitely a lot going on in this brew:). I'm definitely in new territory here heck I just went from brewing an attempt at a clean crisp Pilsner and now it seems I've gone full circle and its a whole different ball game.

Will be interesting to see the outcome.

Hay what is everyone's thoughts on this passionfruit should I rack the wort off this or just leave it as is till I cold crash and keg her up?

I have no idea why not just rack half and compare the two.

I have no idea why not just rack half and compare the two.
Yea good point bevis but I'm sure a buthead and am too lazy to bottle half :D.

I think I'll leave it this week check gravity on Sunday this weekend then check back Wednesday it no change in gravity I'll cold crash 3 days and keg her up.

One thing I did find from tasting passionfruit mix is it is a little bitter but this may play well with this peppery flavour I tasted the other day. I'm hoping for a dry tart easy drinking beer with some passionfruit aroma either from them Galaxy hops and hopefully from the passionfruit as well. I'll be sure to post of the results time will tell:).

Back