Need to brew one for the cellar,HELP!

Head First

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I started a few years ago brewing a big malty beer every year that I thought would keep well in a cellar for a long period of time. It needs to age gracefully melding together. So far I have used Trappist yeast, Nottingham and Belle Saison. I have a big cake of Saison saved for this year but haven't come up with a Malt bill or hop bill yet. So far they have been big and thick and dark(all over 1.10). In my mind it needs to have a red tint in color this year as we had a huge forest fire near us this summer. The hops have to be a citrus blend because there will be lots of Homegrown Centennial, I can put 2#s in if need be.
Comments, Suggestions?

Have you looked into red x? I did a toasted wheat red ipa with it that turned out really nice. Pretty sure you can use it 100% as a base malt. Maybe a bit of roasted barley or c120 for extra color and depth?

I forget my hop bill, but I think the above would go well with citrus

Did a Red IPA this summer and it was dry hopped with the Centennial. It fit together well. Dry hop is not an option as it will fade over time but Red X? Will check into it thanks

Sure thing. I have the recipe here if you want to look at it. not sure if it's public or not right now

Been doing some reading and will put this malt on my to do list. Suppose to be malty flavor.. Red Oktoberfest, Red Bock, Red American Lager, etc. etc. etc.? Maybe split main malt bill with this and 2 row with some roasted barley and maybe some Munich? Rich red/ copper would be perfect!!!

I think you're onto something there. for my tastes, I don't care for too much munich but a little could round out the whole thing. you do you man

Would be a little crisp wouldn't it OMB? Needs to be able to hold flavor for several years.

Back