I brewed today!

@Head First hay brewed up that Pilsner I was talking to you earlier about there head first hit me numbers on the head SG of 1.046 I used sazz 21g at 20 min and 15g mittlefruh hop stand 20min nice golden colour in test tube will post a pick when she's all carbed and in the glass:).

Cooling down a stout I just finished up.

60% Maris Otter
20% flaked barley
10% Munich 10L
5% Chocolate
5% roasted barley
EKG at 60 and 20 = 30IBUs
pitching WLP004 when it cools

I brewed yesterday! Trying a California Common and used the WLP San Francisco Lager yeast. Going to do the ferment in my basement, which stays a fairly constant 57F degrees. This is 12 hours after inoculation.

IMG_1884.JPG

Started a grapefruit session IPA last weekend:

70% Pilsner
10% Munich
10% Caramunich
10% Flaked Oats

Hop bill is Simcoe, Amarillo, and Cascade @ 48 IBUs.
Added 3oz of grapefruit zest @ 15 minutes, which resulted in an unexpected and interesting pith bitterness.
WLP051

SG was 1.046

Brewery is still all packed up but managed to find a 40 l urn and some cubes going cheap .....double brewdays are looking very easy now ! Spare fridge so can double production

Holy #$$^ ....picked up urn and some extras today , there's 250 odd litres of potential beer sitting in my lounge room .
feel like a vulture picking over a retiring brewers bones but i did give him more than asking price
picked up
a used 40 litre crown urn , ball valve , hose, cube and bag $130
a few kg of hops ( slightly old but kept frozen )
galaxy , armadillo , FF and some NZ varieties
7-8 kg of grain
extra kits to do DIPAs , or double batches / toucans
half full 16 oz bottle of star san
superatomatica bench capper
extra scales ,thermometer, hydrometer
and more stuff i haven't even unpacked yet
feel like i ripped him off :(

Attachments

• IMG_20170125_191856.jpg
    IMG_20170125_191856.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 154
If he wasn't using the stuff you just gave him more space in his closet!
I thought I spent a lot for a makeshift older rims system when I was starting but after pricing it out I got about $1200 US stuff for $500 US. I like getting equipment this way.o_O

Great stuff Mark yep looks like you won't be needing any ingredients for awhile. I thought moving was a way to get rid of stuff not gain stuff ha ha! Well I suppose the keggle is on the back burner now you've got that urn. You going to biab in that I suppose? How you going to regulate and set mash temp? You going to use its thermostat or STC style thermostat? Man you did well you lucky bast$&d!:D. Hope you have a great trouble free Australia Day! Ogi Ogi Ogi Oi Oi Oi!!

i'll do a few batches with half fresh grain and some of that mixed in , can't trust old hops too much so will use them for dry hopping provided they smell good .
the kits i don't really have any use for so will give them away .
will still do the keggle and my assistant brewer will get the urn when he goes AG or if i move my brewery to his shed for a joint operation we can pump out double batches real easy .

working up a recipe for a Rye IPA for sunday , got some cleaning to do on urn first , strip the valve ect

Kegged that Pilsner today sample tasted pretty clean fruity with a touch of sulphur but it tasted pretty promising can't wait to get stuck into it in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to see how it compares to that pils I did with ale yeast my guess is nothing alike :).

Oh one more thing. I've been adding gelitin to keg on transfer. Last brew I didn't I just added gelatin to cold crashing fermentor. That brew is still cloudy will see how this brew clears up but I'm getting better results from adding gelatin to keg.

Kegged that Pilsner today sample tasted pretty clean fruity with a touch of sulphur but it tasted pretty promising can't wait to get stuck into it in the coming weeks. It will be interesting to see how it compares to that pils I did with ale yeast my guess is nothing alike :).

Oh one more thing. I've been adding gelitin to keg on transfer. Last brew I didn't I just added gelatin to cold crashing fermentor. That brew is still cloudy will see how this brew clears up but I'm getting better results from adding gelatin to keg.

My Pils with the Swiss yeast finished out at 1.006 and can taste spicy fruity hops. Kind of what I was looking for.
I like it when that happens.:D
Still in CC at 34F but might rack off cake to keg for another brew day tomorrow.

Anyone else NOT watching the game today?? It'll be on in the background, I'm making a Wit instead.

50/50 on Belgian Pils and Wheat
Saaz @ 60 and 15 = ~20 IBUs
Orange peel, Satsuma Peel, Coriander, little bit of cardamom @ 5
Amarillo @ flameout and whirlpool
WLP400
going to "dry hop" with a little more orange peel depending on how big the citrus aroma is.

Anyone else NOT watching the game today??
Game!? What game...!?

...oh, right, it's super bowl Sunday (already Monday back in good ol' Europe)!

To be honest, if it were played at local time here, even though I don't really follow sports, I would probably take a peek too.

Brewed that saison today 1 point shy of my SG so happy with that. Wort turned out a nice Amber colour. I'm interested to see what this Belgian ale yeast will do with this Delicious wort. I loved the smell of them Galaxy hops a lot more pungent than the hops I've been using lately. I got side tracked with my little nephew on this brew he was my little Brewer assistant he kept asking ben is the beer ready:).wait a month and then it will be lol. Cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    640.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Im brewing my spring pale ale, changed it up a bit, it was all cascade flavor but adding Amarillo at flame out this time

another freak day, 80f for the high, normally 50f, I'm sweating already

Was suppose to brew yesterday but was out too late at a friends birthday party. Would not have been safe around hot wort. Will brew a Marzen and a California Steam today. Going to try adding some xtra flavor malt on batch sparge of the steam beer to change up the wort a bit. Same grain bill for both in first run from tun.

Brewed a doppalbock and also a new recipe I'm working on a red esb

No pics, and I guess this is a double post (could also go over by "what are you drinking"), but I just finished clean-up after brewing my second Monroe IPA....and I am drinking my first.
The first hasn't quite reached maturity, so I am hoping the hop aroma will eventually get a little stronger, but otherwise it is a good solid IPA.
I didn't put any acid malt in the second, so am curious if my OG will by off.

Small-batch witbier, extract with mini-mash. It's nice to do my brew day without straining my back and without fighting our afternoon winds.

Don't you love when you get the whole week off for Mardi Gras??

Brewing IPA today. Galena and Azacca hopped. Going solo though, so we'll see how I do.

Back