How to log post boil DME add to correct for missed OG...

DonY

Premium Member
Reaction score
...so I know in the future my true brew house efficiency (based on recipe editor) vs corrected brew house efficiency after adding DME?

In my brew session log entries I captured my measured OG based on the recipe as "Boil Complete" entry and my corrected OG after adding DME+1L of water to bring gravity up as a "Brew Day Complete" entry. The brew day complete entry is what determines brew house efficiency. To further complicate things the DME was boiled in an additional 1 liter of water with the full 1L high gravity reconstituted DME added to my kettle volume since I'd already cooled my kettle down to pitching temp. Since my fermentor could only hold so much wort I ended up leaving over 2G of wort behind in the kettle due to added volume with about 1G of that being trub which I had accounted for in my equipment profile.

I want to establish my true brew house efficiency to use in future recipes with same equipment for same style of beer (DIPA in this case). If I use the brew session efficiency numbers going forward I'll always be south of my target OG and having to add DME, not what I want to do. If I use ending kettle efficiency with batch target of kettle in the recipe editor and not brew house efficiency and batch target of fermentor in future recipes I'll still be short on my OG. My latest brew session numbers for ending kettle efficiency was 77% yet my actual brew house efficiency before adding DME was a paltry 42%. I've not figured out why that huge difference given I typically have a brew house efficiency (efficiency into fermentor using other brewing tools of 65-68%) with all my previous brews using same equipment.

Just looking for advice on how best to leverage brewersfriend brew session tool to inspect and adapt future recipes with the recipe editor.

I would also like to see this feature added. For now I have an excel sheet that will calculate how much DME to add, and then I just have to add it as a log entry into my brew session on Brewer's Friend and know that my efficiency calculations will be way off... not ideal.

not answering the question but unless your brewing the same beer over and over with the exact grain and system your not going have the correct numbers, it will be close but can vary several points one way or the other, matching your efficiencies perfectly is very hard to do even for me, I finally mastered it but took years because I very seldom brew the same beer twice

Back