Home made pizza

I've never heard of a pizza screen before. I just bought a 16" one!

its kind of hard to photograph, its so translucent

WP_20161022_009.jpg
WP_20161022_008.jpg

A screen. We've always had the pans.

Ive found an easy way to transfer the dough to the screen, use a larger pan upside down flour it liberally, stretch or roll your dough on it then oil and place the screen on top, turn both over and peel the bigger tray slowly off the dough then stretch the dough to the edges of the screen, once on the screen don't press down

let it raise on the screen

Here you go. I can't take credit for this. My wife made it. She makes her dough with beer. She used my SMaSH Marris Otter and Target. Nice to have beer on tap. She used to open a can to get a few ounces.

Attachments

• IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    955.9 KB · Views: 203
I wasn't busy today, had the day off so I started making pizza flour up batch by batch, I mix allot of different stuff in my crust so I just added it all including the yeast then sealed it with my food saver in separate bags now all you need to add is water, then I put 3 in bowls to rise for the day after thanks giving then sealed again and put in the keezer for a week, each one of those will make an 18" pizza should be good

WP_20161115_005.jpg

A couple years ago I became obsessed with making Chicago deep dish pizza, probably because I can't get it around here. I haven't made one recently, but here's a pic of an early attempt that turned out pretty good. Normally I don't use diced tomatoes, I make the sauce from crushed tomatoes. I make mine in a cast iron skillet. From the ground up you have crust, shredded mozzarella, sliced provolone, pepperoni, Italian sausage, sauce, and grated Parmesan.
Chicago deep-dish haters: I like good NY pizza too, which is something else I can't find down here. I haven't figured that one out yet, but when I decide to work on it I'm buying a pizza steel.
10171758_508459879254902_6429184284249306770_n.jpg

Ive used allot of different pans, I have a well made aluminum pan now that is too thick and doesn't brown very well even on the bottom shelve at 550f it doesn't brown like it should so that should work if you heat it up ahead and transfer the pizza to it which is the hard part, Ive got a large stainless pizza peel that helps but its still hard with the crust moist like I like it

my next pizza venture is a layered pan pizza with toppings in the middle and top

I just vacuum sealed a bunch of ingredients, a package of bacon with made large bits, a pound of hamburger, a pound of sausage, 3 different bell peppers red, yellow, orange, a package of mushrooms. 2 yellow onions and sliced black olives, all in portions that you would add to one pizza, my house smells good o_O now its beer time

Speaking of a pizza steel: have any of you guys used one? If so what how'd it work?
I guess i didn't answer this, I have an 16" stainless pizza steal with a 2 foot handle, I will say that that my dough is rather wet and I cant use it like normal but its rather big but comes in handy when using my pizza screens in a 550 oven,

Last edited:
Ozarks you need to try a sour dough pizza base if you haven't already. I used to make my own sour dough bread and used this as a base for pizza. Mix in some chia seeds into dough and it will be a cruchiest base ever with that sour dough tang.

My latest dough is soured, and its been in the fridge for a week and I have 70 OZ of dough to play with I think Ill save a starter for the next batch

May have to do a "Granddaddy's Favorite" for the grandkids this weekend....

Back