Hey, brewer, brewer!!

I'm currently leaning toward that reasoning myself.

Check out brewlosophys exbeerment on it it's pretty convincing now that fella likes to buck the trend. I tell ya what it cuts out a bit of hassle on brew day too. Down side just that bit extra trub at the bottom of primary it was up to 3 liter mark on my last brew that'd be about two inches in your scale :)

Yeah, and the extra wort in the fermenter to make up for it costs headspace. That can lead to problems, too! Ask me how I know!

I've heard that about trub in the fermentor from other sources. Protein and yeast are flavorless; however, the hop debris are not, nor is any grain debris that might have made it into the kettle. Regardless of the results of the single run, I can't imagine commercial brewers spending the money to separate the wort from the trub if there were no good reason to do so. I can imagine that at commercial scale there may be effects in play that aren't in a five gallon batch and I do agree there's a lot of beer lore out there. Current method is bag the hops to keep as much of that out of the fermentor as possible but not worry about the protein gunk. Seems to be working for me.

Check out brewlosophys exbeerment on it it's pretty convincing now that fella likes to buck the trend. I tell ya what it cuts out a bit of hassle on brew day too. Down side just that bit extra trub at the bottom of primary it was up to 3 liter mark on my last brew that'd be about two inches in your scale :)

While results of a single experimental run are interesting, they're not definitive. Brulosophy is doing good work, I've participated in some of their tests, and to be sure the results are valid we need to reproduce the results a few times to be sure we're not seeing anomalous results or the effect is not lost in noise.

I've heard that about trub in the fermentor from other sources. Protein and yeast are flavorless; however, the hop debris are not, nor is any grain debris that might have made it into the kettle. Regardless of the results of the single run, I can't imagine commercial brewers spending the money to separate the wort from the trub if there were no good reason to do so. I can imagine that at commercial scale there may be effects in play that aren't in a five gallon batch and I do agree there's a lot of beer lore out there. Current method is bag the hops to keep as much of that out of the fermentor as possible but not worry about the protein gunk. Seems to be working for me.

Good point there nosy that's where we come in we can also blaze the new trail with himo_O. Ok that may be a bit over the top but I am putting my money where my mouth is. My last two brews have been racked all into fermentor trub hops and all. The tiny bottom pale ale I did of his is tasting great crystal clear no off flavours according to my bias un educated taste buds. And the Octoberfest is conditioning ATM but I have been sampling too many and it's no too bad:rolleyes:. A hop spider has been on my to do diy list though as I sometimes no chill into a cube as per the Aussie way sometimes and I've heard you definitely want to keep hops outta that. Time will tell i suppose

Jeffpn I've got in your terms a gallon and a half,of head space as I ferment in a 30lt bucket. You get a bit of a blow,out Eh?

Strokes for folks , the biggest flaw i saw in that experiment was on long term stability .

i personally keep all hops / grain debris/hot break out of FV , they do affect flavour !
i brew mostly 21 litre batches as if i get ambitious and try to get more than that my efficiency drops pretty quickly as mash gets too thick and boil SG is too high for proper hop utilisation .... really need to build this keggle !

Jeffpn I've got in your terms a gallon and a half,of head space as I ferment in a 30lt bucket. You get a bit of a blow,out Eh?
My fermenter has more than 5 gallons in it. That way after racking it twice, I can fill up my keg completely. And if I have any left over, I fill up a jar or two so my wife can make pizza crust with it, but that's another thread! Anyway, I think sometimes I'll only have about 3/4 gallon'a worth of headspace in my primary.

I do a German Sourdough Spelt bread hydrated with beer. So far the best has been made using a Baltic Porter. But back to beer: I'm hearing more tests. Before I believe letting my beer soak on spent hops and grain particles is a good thing, I'd like to see the experiments repeated a few times. I'm a skeptic - I'll change my position when presented better data - but I am a bloody difficult one.

My fermenter has more than 5 gallons in it. That way after racking it twice, I can fill up my keg completely. And if I have any left over, I fill up a jar or two so my wife can make pizza crust with it, but that's another thread! Anyway, I think sometimes I'll only have about 3/4 gallon'a worth of headspace in my primary.
No you are onto it I'm thinking of doing the same thing with some slurry from a recent Baruch a beer wlp090 sandiego super yeast should make a tasty crust I'm just to lazy to get it done

Hey nosy if you know how to use that poll feature as in the Pilsner boil times one we should do a poll on trub in fermentor vs not into fermentor will e interesting to see results upon Brewers preferences with this brewing issue.

Not sure.... Anyone out there want to start the trub poll?

I'm testing the other direction: Next weekend I'll be brewing a Belgian blonde to create a starter for a Dark Strong. For the starter beer, I'll make sure the wort is as clean as possible. It won't be a scientific test but it will help me clarify that, for my equipment using my process (the variables the single runs do not take into account), trub isn't a factor.

Bru's views on trub was the yeast when they fall outta suspension will create a protective layer between trub and wort. Most of his brews are in the primary but a short while so maybe this lessens the affects of off tasting trub nasties.

may as well first see how many of the brewers here rack off to a secondary .
i stopped racking off after maybe 5 brews and think they tasted better if left in primary , this will also depend on personal equipment as i think some here use carboys , others in buckets , some in conicals and i myself use the Coopers FV
http://store.coopers.com.au/coopers-diy-beer-fermenting-vessel-34ltr.html
and one like this
https://shop.beerbelly.com.au/30lt-fermentor-set.html

In all brewing it comes down to what you like to drink

Good point there mark my secondary is my keg/conditioning vessel.

I rack from the primary after 10 to 15 days leaving all the trub behind then right into a 34 degree keg, after a week I transfer to a drinking keg leaving more yeast and hop particles behind

How much pressure develops in your conditioning keg?

Back