Grapefruit IPA

Well you can't say know the boss there Joshua man I wish my missus wanted me to brew more beer for her not the other way around:p.

I know it buddy! .... and, as of this week I'm finally on a regular job again with the railroad so i have days off but it really messes up my brewing time. The only day I am going to be able to mess with my beer is going to be on Fridays. The good news is that my conductor can get me some good honey for my future mead plans and i have a tight crew i can hand home brews to after we get off work!

I brewed an orange IPA last summer and added a hop bag of orange zest to the keg and definitely got the taste of oranges. This is what I suggest doing. If you bottle secondary would work. If you add juice your into radler

I sliced up, and then smashed some of those hybrid "lemon tangerines"...
Meyer Lemons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meyer_lemon

....and tossed them into the freezer?

On brew day..... After thawing them, I was going to dunk them in at flame out, and then pound the cooled wort on top of my grapefruit juice?!

I let my beer sit in secondary for a minimum of two weeks? I'm never in a rush to bottle.

I'm really looking for that BITE of grapefruit...... i think im close!

I will throw my brew into secondary a for another round to get it right!

I've got a whole bunch of them same Myer lemons on my tree out the back at home Joshua mmm lucky me lol.

Hey guys, i smashed up one pound of those sliced Meyer's and tossed them in at flame out, pounded in 32oz of organic grapefruit juice at the same time.... once it cooled before pitching the yeast i added another 32oz of juice.... and it's doing good! I slammed on the lid before tasting the wort, but it smelled outstanding! I really added in alot of my Dad's fresh hops and it's going to be pretty good i think. It's fermenting away in my largest bucket without any problems.

I think i will probably still dry hop at least twice during secondary, as well as bomb another jug of juice in there,

...... as a side note, my second batch of jalapeno beer is going nutz and i had to pull the airlocks, go figure?

I've got a whole bunch of them same Myer lemons on my tree out the back at home Joshua mmm lucky me lol.

I'm always looking to ferment something crazy, and i've never saw those before around here so i couldn't pass up the chance!

They ain't as tart as most lemons I've found they have a little sweetness to them. I've got them coming out of my ears at the moment. I've been building it up round the base with lots of horse poop so they are big and juicy :D. I've used them in a ginger beer before and maybe some lemon zest in a witbier but that's about all I've used them for brewing wise.

Sounds like that brew will be plenty tart though Joshua I recon in the brew pot plenty of lemon would naturally drop ph for you too like in the mash especially in a lighter kilned base brew.

You can do a kettle sour

fruit acid in beer just gives me indigestion, trust me Ive done it

Hey guys, i smashed up one pound of those sliced Meyer's and tossed them in at flame out, pounded in 32oz of organic grapefruit juice at the same time.... once it cooled before pitching the yeast i added another 32oz of juice.... and it's doing good! I slammed on the lid before tasting the wort, but it smelled outstanding! I really added in alot of my Dad's fresh hops and it's going to be pretty good i think. It's fermenting away in my largest bucket without any problems.

I think i will probably still dry hop at least twice during secondary, as well as bomb another jug of juice in there,

...... as a side note, my second batch of jalapeno beer is going nutz and i had to pull the airlocks, go figure?

This beer was awesome also, I made an excellent choice!

Speaking of grapefruit ipa does anyone have an Elvis juice clone from brewdog love that stuff

I had good luck with these hops last year, so I just bought 1/2 pound more I'll be planning to use in a single-hop IPA with soon.
http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/ExpGrapefruit8oz_p/hopsexpgrapefruit2-2014crop.htm
Since these are older hops now, combined with actual grapefruit will probably be key. Okay, I might consider a little Mosaic too when it's all said and done, and not go single hop.

People who take Stsatin drugs (prescribed to treat high cholesterol) should stay away from grapefruit.

Back