Advice can be priceless - blow off tubes

sn00ky

Trial Member
Reaction score
Wow, I set up my first blow off tube yesterday after pitching my high gravity ale with a 3 step starter (approx. 700B). I read numerous times how people learn the hard way and for once, I learned from their hard way! Boy am I glad!!! I had to double wrap wire over the bung to hold this thing down!

Not every brew "blows off", anyone ever find a correlation between pitch rates, styles, etc? No doubt, always better safe than sorry, but no harm in a discussion!

20170216_161718.jpg

I ferment in a 30lt bucket so don't have a problem with Krausen bubbling out of the air lock. But my saison I'm brewing decided to pretty much ferment out in 36hrs and the vigorous air flow kept blowing air lock clear of starssan so had to attach tube to separate container.

3 step starter that must be a monster of a beer mate what was your OG?

OG was 1.098 planned, but got 1.078 into fermenter. I could have had a different approach but figured why not, something new to me making a 3 step, and I don't believe there is any harm in having an overpitch (which I did overpitch about 100B).

I pitched London Ale III 1318, Wyeast. I was hoping to go with Mangrove Jack Newcastle, but LHBS didn't have any, just compared to chart and wound up with this.

I have heard from many that high gravity ales can be difficult to get tasting like brew, over rubbing alcohol - hopefully it turns out!

You took me for a loop there, talking like it was summer, but it is!
Perhaps the hazy juicy IPA goodness could be considered cozy for the winter here!

For sure there sn00ky if it ever thows out lol. Your winter and s a million miles from me. Where is trying to reduce sunburn your probably trying to reduce frost bite,:p.

How often do I hear of an high gravity beer that doesn't meet the SF/FG ? I've not done one but Ill be over shooting. Cheers

My latest pale ale was a ferment bomb. I maxed out the carboy with very little head space left and I am so glad I used a 1 inch blow off tube inserted directly into the carboy without a bung. This is what it looked like after racking the beer from the primary.

Attachments

• IMG_2577.JPG
    IMG_2577.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 192
Yea she was rocking mate!!:p. She certainly threw a good krausen for you. Most yeast I've used lately has been a mediocre 1 inch krausen :oops: ha ha. I hear hefeweizen yeast can really foam up on top.

Back