I brewed today!

SMaSH ale. Golden Promise and a new hop called Lemomdrop. Specs of 1.051 and 21. Hope it's good!

Brewed another version of my swartzy beer with my lighter roast malt 5 hour brew day chores in between and 78% brew house with wort chilling as I type a lovely post Christmas brew day to top up that schwarzy beer them guEst drank

Did a Belgian Blonde today, extract plus partial mash, as a starter for the Dark Strong I want to do next weekend.

Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity . It's purpose is as a starter for the Dark Strong.

It's going to ferment a 10 percenter. Needs to be big.

Racked Janet's Brown today.chilled it overnight outside almost ended up with an Eisenbier! A few ice crystals were starting to form so... was 1.5 gal extra that didn't fit in kegs so I jugged it and stuck it in the freezer! Eisenbier exbeeriment anyway:D

Spelled Eisbier duh
Tasting note: tastes like hoppy brandy.

Last edited:
Racked my Quad just now, didn't take no gravity readings. It's gonna spend a week at 50ºF, then another week at 34ºF, and then to the bottles for 12 months.

brewing a pale wheat ale right now, had to shake up some ingredients, so we'll see how this turns out.

Started with DI water, using gypsum and CaCl, (plus lactic acid), for SO4/Cl ratio of 2.1.
50% 2-row and 50% white wheat
Mandarina at 60, 20, and 10
Medusa at 5 and 0
Going to toss some in some satsuma peels and crushed up a small amount of cardamom too.

Lack of yeast at the LHBS forced me to go for US-05, which I can't be mad about.

Got a sack of Castle Pils the other day from LHBS so brewed a Belgian Pils with Safbrew-189 Swiss Lager Yeast. Bittered with US Magnum but threw in some Saaz for 30min.(25 IBU total) and finished with Hallertau Mittelfruh for aroma. Curious how this will come out. Have never used this yeast before.
Second batch was A Barleywine with Magnum and Centennial. Really like watching the steam roll out of the brewery with 2 batches boiling.
Tis the season to be brewing tra la la la la, la la la la! Better have another taste of that Janet's Brown for ya Trialben! Cheers!!!

Got a sack of Castle Pils the other day from LHBS so brewed a Belgian Pils with Safbrew-189 Swiss Lager Yeast. Bittered with US Magnum but threw in some Saaz for 30min.(25 IBU total) and finished with Hallertau Mittelfruh for aroma. Curious how this will come out. Have never used this yeast before.
Second batch was A Barleywine with Magnum and Centennial. Really like watching the steam roll out of the brewery with 2 batches boiling.
Tis the season to be brewing tra la la la la, la la la la! Better have another taste of that Janet's Brown for ya Trialben! Cheers!!!
Looking to brew a pils this weekend with same hops there head first have you brewed this Pilsner before? I was just going to use sazz but I saw you added mittlefruh for aroma.

Looking to brew a pils this weekend with same hops there head first have you brewed this Pilsner before? I was just going to use sazz but I saw you added mittlefruh for aroma.
No never brewed this one before. Just thought the fruity with a spicy background would fit the style. I have used the Castle malt before and like it. Hoping for more hop flavor than a Blue Moon. The yeast is totally new to me though. Ever use it?

No never brewed this one before. Just thought the fruity with a spicy background would fit the style. I have used the Castle malt before and like it. Hoping for more hop flavor than a Blue Moon. The yeast is totally new to me though. Ever use it?
Nope haven't used that yeast I hear it's similar to 34/70 I think Nz Brewer has I'm sure he posted in a thread about using that Swiss lager yeast said its nice and clean brulosopher did a yeast comparison not long ago on this yeast maybe check that out;). I'm using another Belgium pils malt Dingermans so far it's been Delish but I'm bias ha ha well look forward too hearing about your brew hay we can do a comparison post in a months time or so:D!.

Pity can't do a comparison taste:p

Bit of a lie to be in this thread, because I'm brewing tomorrow. One of the beers I always want on tap, Kolsch. It never seems to happen. I haven't had it available for a couple months. I bought 4 ounces of hops for a 5 gallon batch! Spalt is only at 2.2 IBUs now.

i'm a little ahead of the game too, but finally getting back to a batch this weekend. brewing Randy Mosher's 1776 Porter again, this time with both licorice stick and root. didn't have the root last time, curious to see how it changes the flavor

also, this recipe uses a hop tea that you steep for awhile, then add to the boil, not sure what that does exactly. maybe something similar to FWH?

and, the recipe calls for boiling down the first half gallon or so of runnings into a sticky, syrupy gloop. just shy of burning. i really like what that did for the flavor

Bottled my Quad today and got a FG reading: 1.090 -> 1.012 = 10.25%

tasted pretty good already so I guess I'll pop one bottle when it reaches carbonation. The rest I'm planning on cellaring for a year.

Back